Drives keep going RAW

thepregnantgod

Question

I don't think this is a product of Drivepool.  But I know many of you guys are storage fanatics and might have faced this before...

I am routinely finding a drive that loses its partition and goes RAW.  This is a huge pain that I'd like to remedy.

1. What, in your experience, can cause this?

2. What is the easiest way to rebuild the partition and have the drive be good again?

3. Does ReFS partitions impact recovery or probability?

5 answers to this question

1. This can happen any time a write to the disk is "interrupted" while writing to the partition table.
    USB for instance, can do this, frequently. 
  2. CHKDSK.  No, really.  In many cases, a CHKDSK pass can fix the damage and restore the partition to working order.
    However, normal data recovery should work too. TestDisk Recuva, EaseUS and other tools have the ability to repair damaged partitions. 
  3. ReFS uses 'copy on write', so it may reduce the likelihood that this will occur. 
    However, "fixing" may be much more problem, as not as many tools work on ReFS, at this point

Additionally, converting the MBR drives to GPT would help too. 

On 12/21/2017 at 12:29 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Additionally, converting the MBR drives to GPT would help too. 

Maybe this explains why I've never seen this issue on USB drives: they're pretty much all formatted GPT. These days, I basically don't bother with MBR.

Edited by Christopher (Drashna)
Fix quote