Drivepool with Cloud drive reading from cloud when local copy exists

trueppp

Question

Is there a way to force Drivepool to respond to read requests by accessing local copy of file instead of cloud drive copy if available?

I have a 14TB pool that is then pooled with cloud drive with pool duplication on. Certain folders in that pool are then backed up to another provider (3-2-1 backups). When trying to backup, Arq backup times out trying to read files from the clouddrive when I have the files locally on disk. IS there a way to get drive pool to prioritise the local copy instead of the clouddrive? I'm basically using the clouddrive as a mirror to prevent loss of availability.

Thank you

7 answers to this question

17 minutes ago, Viktor said:

You can access the locally stored data through the hidden "PoolPart.xxx..." folder on your local pool. If you take the content of that folder as data source for the Arq backup instead of the final pooled pool, you could achieve what you want.

That is what i'm doing but it feels "dirty", and i do not know if there can be side effects. UrBackup Server is having similar problems, but that is more due to the hardlinking limitations of drive pool i beleive

Yes, install the Public Beta of StableBit DrivePool.  

StableBit DrivePool 2.2.0.866 changelog:
* [D] [Issue #27655] When a file is opened, each open context is given a priority. Read striping will always work over the highest 
                     available priority class. 
                     Priority classes from lowest to highest are:
                        - CloudDrive, CloudPool, LocalExternalDrive, NonCloudPool, StandardDrive

Thanks Chris, does Drivepool silently update? Im on 2.2.0.881 BETA.

Also, something else, the local pool is still duplicating (14TB over a 20Mbps link is SLOOWWW), so the Clouddrive cache is full most of the time. I put the CloudDrive to only duplicated files and turned off real-time duplication (as the cache is mostly full and gets filled up fast), yet some files (I have over 60GB) are saved to Clouddrive first, violating the file placement rules

1 hour ago, trueppp said:

does Drivepool silently update? Im on 2.2.0.881 BETA

Nope. Never.  Almost all updates require a reboot, so ... yeah....

That said, we do generate a prompt when there is a new public version.  Then you can download and install, from the app.  

So not silent, but it is streamlined, for the most part.

1 hour ago, trueppp said:

Also, something else, the local pool is still duplicating (14TB over a 20Mbps link is SLOOWWW), so the Clouddrive cache is full most of the time. I put the CloudDrive to only duplicated files and turned off real-time duplication (as the cache is mostly full and gets filled up fast), yet some files (I have over 60GB) are saved to Clouddrive first, violating the file placement rules

Duplication may be slow because the cache drive is very full (writes are throttled to CloudDrive disks if the cache is less than 6GB free. 

As for the file placement rules, are you using any balancers? Especially the balancer plugins?