Lost access to some files through the pool

beatle

Question

I have a pool on my R510 that spans 7 drives.  They're mostly a mix of 2-3TB drives with a small partition carved off my OS drive for some extra redundancy.  I protect with SnapRAID, and it has been running pretty well for the past 9 months.

I recently upgraded backup solution, a couple of 8TB external USB drives that I attach to my desktop and pull files across using FreeFileSync.  It seemed to be working well, though today when I went to watch a couple of Christmas specials, I noticed I could not read them from my server.  I could read them fine from my backup drives (just sync'd last night) so I copied them back to my server from the backup drives and all seemed well.  Then I spot checked a few more movies on my server and noticed they were also "corrupt."  I could not read them across the network or locally on my server through the pool.  I attempted to read them at the file level by snooping inside the poolpart folder on the drives and I could read them fine, so this seems to be related to the pool itself and my data is actually intact.

I've remeasured the pool and it seems like one drive has a lot of data that is just considered "other" and is not actually incorporated into the pool, despite everything being in the poolpart folder.  Any ideas on this one other than removing the drive and adding it back?

5 answers to this question

Ok, I've been doing some digging and trying things out.  Tried stopping the service and moving my files out of the poolpart directory, then starting it back up.  I was then able to quickly remove the drive, then add them back in doing the reverse.  Still had the same missing files when I restarted the service.

Then I read about another person with similar "other" issues and the suggestion was to install the latest beta.  I did that and it got most of my files back in the pool, but not all.  There are also some "other" files on some of my other drives.

Thinking back, I tried out Windows deduplication on this box early Saturday.  I disabled it since it basically got me nothing (mostly video files) and went about my business.  I've since disabled deduplcation on all drives and then removed the deduplication role.  I think they may be related, but not sure what to do about reincorporating the "other" files into the pool.

ahh, you're using deduplication.   yeah, that would do it.

You need to use the public beta, or you will get corrupted/missing data.
Or disable "Bypass file system filters" option.

This is because deduplication uses a file system filter to "re-splice" the data together.  And the pool (by default) bypasses these filters (for compatibility and performance).  So, if a file was dedup'd, then you'd only get the non-duplicate data from the file. Obviously, that's a problem. 

The beta detects this filter and will disable the "bypass" automatically, if it's detected. Or, you can use the release version and do that manually. 

So I'm looking at my files and nearly all of the ones on the drive that was undergoing deduplication are inaccessible, even on the drive itself.  This is pretty bad, but I think I have nearly all of them on my backups.

Since I'm not running deduplication any longer, I figured these issues would have solved themselves since stopping and uninstalling the deduplication role went off without a hitch.  I'm guessing that's not the case.

A handful of files on some of my other drives are also showing as "other."  Is there a way to determine these?  I don't have any files outside of the poolpart folders on those drives.  Just want to make sure I don't have more damage.

Did a restore of most of the files on one of the drives that was deduplicated.  Seems like I got most of them restored.  Then I went to do a sync with SnapRAID and noticed that it would not read a file and was basically hung up on it.  I could not read the file through the pool or on the disk itself.  Corrupted.  I did a search for all video files and noticed that a lot of them would not build thumbnails with Explorer.  All of those are corrupted.  As I did a backup after I enabled deduplication, all of my backup files are also corrupted.

I'm not sure if there's anything that could be done at this point.  It's not a total loss, but I'm thinking this is probably several terabytes worth.  Some files will be very difficult or impossible to replace.  Any ideas?