What is the best way get my data into the DrivePool?

krodami

Question

6 answers to this question

I have been wondering why DrivePool doesn't offer an option to move the files for you; perhaps a checkbox that says, "please move all non-pooled files into the pool on newly added drives". That way, DrivePool could take whatever steps are necessary, such as temporarily halting duplication on the newly added drives, to ensure the movement of the files is handled correctly.

It does let you know, though.

But as for why?  Add the C: drive ..... and since we can't boot from the pool... suddenly, no bootable system! 

And it would otherwise destroy your existing config.

there is a feature request for this, and it is something that I'd like to see. But we've been busy and haven't had the time to add new features. 

My bad. I should have mentioned that I had figured the 'auto move' option would detect and exclude, with a warning presumably, the system boot drive; something like, "the boot drive cannot be added to a Drive Pool". I know some 'other' drive pooling software programs do automatically relocate files.

But how do we tell what should be moved and what shouldn't?

For instance, my "MSYS" (linux emulation) program? My GIT stuff?  Games?  

How about Windows Server roles, like WSUS, WDS, DFS, web site stuff, etc? 

The detection and handling routines alone .....    

The point is that there isn't a good way to handle this, so we have users do it "by hand".