Accessing jbod drivepool under linux

denywinarto

Question

Hi, i need to access my jbod under linux to check zoning possibility.. cause strangely my hgst 4u60 is limiting the drives to 11. 

Ive tried lsi 9300 8e and dell sc8000 and both cant detect 12th drive, a 8tb red wd. But i can move around drives in my jbod as long as its under 11. 

Unfortunately i cant find any equivalent alternative for smp_utils under windows.

So im gonna have to boot up ubuntu and access the jbod rack.. question is, is this safe for drivepool once i get back to windows? Cause if i recall i had permission issues when going back and forth with ubuntu and windows.. cant risk my data for this.  Thanks

5 answers to this question

That's odd.  And makes me wonder if the SAS expander on the enclosure isn't defective in some way. 

That said, no, there isn't a tool for this.  There are a number of file systems that may be similar though (such as MergerFS, I think). 

As for safe to switch between the two, I'm not really sure, honestly.  You shouldn't, in theory. And worst case, you can reset the permissions in Windows by doing this:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455

2 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

That's odd.  And makes me wonder if the SAS expander on the enclosure isn't defective in some way. 

That said, no, there isn't a tool for this.  There are a number of file systems that may be similar though (such as MergerFS, I think). 

As for safe to switch between the two, I'm not really sure, honestly.  You shouldn't, in theory. And worst case, you can reset the permissions in Windows by doing this:
http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q5510455

"You shouldn't" meaning it's not safe?

yeah tried almost everything, tested yesterday without drives plugged in, turns out there's no zoning

Card is made in chinese so i'm refunding it and getting the US one (albeit twice more expensive) 

Wanted to debug it further but im held back by windows' tool limitation..