Now I've got a complete mess

adrianf

Question

So, I'm in the process of moving from one set of drives to new ones.  To keep things clean, I simply copied the drives from their mounted locations (not using drive letters) to the new drives.  All was good until I launched DrivePool.  Now all drives are gray and it's squawking about missing drives.

None of the drives had a "PoolPart" folder on them but I'm guessing it found old references somewhere on my system.

I decided I'd try rebuilding the Pool, however, I'm stuck with PoolPart folders that I can't remove from each drive.  I've uninstalled the software and deleted the folder (with all configs that were located in C:\ProgramFiles) but can't get the "PoolPart" folders to go away (which I know will be a major issue).

Can anybody suggest a surefire way of doing this?  I've tried going into the permissions in W10 but can't get them to delete.  I'm trying to start a new pool from scratch.

Thanks all.

5 answers to this question

UPDATE 05-DEC-17: Was able to get rid of the PoolPart.GUID folders after reading an article posted somewhere on the forum that involved fighting with the various security attributes.  Got a bunch of pop-ups and it looked like I'd be out of luck but the shift-delete AFTER changing the attributes to the children seemed to do the trick (couldn't get this resolved yesterday).  

Pool is now up and running again.  SnapRaid is now doing its thing building a parity drive now that those pesky folders are gone.  Thanks again for the help provided and for a great program.  Consider this SOLVED.

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm still kinda stuck here because I've removed DrivePool completely (uninstalled the software and deleted the main folders) but when I get to the PoolPart.GUID section, I've got a folder that can't be deleted.  There's nothing in it (all hidden files are shown) but it will never allow me to delete it no matter what I try.

Would I be better to try re-installing the software and doing it that way?  The issue is that I just copied all my data over from older drives and was trying to start a new pool but it thinks they're lost.  So it's actually two issues altogether -- the fact that DrivePool has lost the old drives and that I can't remove the PoolPart.GUID folders. 

Thanks.

I'll add to this right now.  By following the instructions for manually seeding (copying the folders BACK into the needed PoolPart.GUID folder that was on all three drives) I now have everything back online. I've just had to do a couple of setting changes (for the record, I removed the appropriate ProgramData and AppData folders as well and then re-added my licensing key back in).

The issue with the older PoolPart.GUID folders still remains -- that is, I can't delete them.  They were attempts in trying to get this up and running.  Any suggestions for removing the unrequired folders?  I ask since I just rebuilt this system.

Thanks!