Server 2012 Backup question

easyrider

Question

HI,

WHS V1 has finally chugged to an end...So I rebuilt my server with Server 2012 R2.I have had a nightmare with SS and parity and some research has left me a tad scared about Storage spaces....Slow speeds etc...Lost drives...ect So I decided to give Drivepool a whirl. Just copying data back to the server as we speak and speeds has gone back to normal.

My question is. Is duplication enabled by default? I haven't done much other than add the 7 x 2TB drives (500gb SYS Drive not in pool ) to the pool, created folders .And began the copy...I want all my data back on the 12TB pool ASAP.

Also if I run the Server Backup and choose folders from the pool like Photos and Home movies folders does it just backup one copy to say the 4TB external USB drive I will be using for automated backups of the files on the pool?

Oh If i decide to buy can I just upgrade to later versions easily without rebuilding the pool?

Erm.....Can't think of anything else right now.

Thanks

easyrider

5 answers to this question

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with Storage Spaces, but yeah...it's a horrible solution. :'(

As for StableBit DrivePool. No, duplication is not enabled by default. You need to manually enable that if you want it. However, if you want EVERYTHING duplicated, then enable the "Pool File duplication" option (Pool Options -> File Protection).  This will enable duplication for everything by default.

As for Server Backup, unfortunately, StableBit DrivePool doesn't support VSS (Volume Shadowcopy Service), so you can't backup the pool directly with Windows Server Backup.

However, you can backup the individual drives that are in the pool. That is the recommended and only supported method.

However, you can use any sort of file based backup (such as allways sync, or Microsoft's SyncToy)

And the license, it's a lifetime license. Good for *any* version of the product. So for StableBit DrivePool, it's valid for 1.x, 2.0, and 2.1 (beta). 

And the same is true for StableBit Scanner. But more specifically, it's good for either the "WHS" version, or the desktop version. 

And you can switch between the versions without any issues (other than maybe needing to deactivate the license first)

If you have any other questions or need clarification, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks  drashna for the info..If I backup  the the individual drives from the pool I will be faced with duplicate data within the backups?

I am looking into backing up the Personal family photo and videos files  in the pool  eg. \\server\x$\home movies  to crashplan...Does this work with folders in the pool?

Thanks again.

easyrider

As for Server Backup, unfortunately, StableBit DrivePool doesn't support VSS (Volume Shadowcopy Service), so you can't backup the pool directly with Windows Server Backup.

However, you can backup the individual drives that are in the pool. That is the recommended and only supported method.

However, you can use any sort of file based backup (such as allways sync, or Microsoft's SyncToy)

So just to clarify. I can use Server 2012 to backup the individual drives...

But I can use SyncToy to backup the folders on the pool?

My needs are I just want to browse to drivepool drive  X: within backup software select the folders I want to backup and that's send the backup off the 4TB usb external drive.

In WHS V1 the server backup option was very simple and incremental ...Is there no way of implementing this in future versions of drivepool?

Thanks

easyrider

By your previous comment, I wasn't sure how you had Server Backup setup. So i just wanted to be clear.

As for SyncToy, yes, any file based utility should work just fine with DrivePool. And that's basically how WHSv1's backup worked. It created a copy of the files on the "backup drive".

I don't know if you've taken a look at some of the other threads, but one idea that has popped up is using a second pool to backup the first pool, and then take that pool off site. 

As for incorporating something like v1's backup, it is a possibility.... but there are already a bunch of similar solutions out there already (such as SyncToy, or Allways Backup)