Prevent Cache Expiration?

Firerouge

Question

Is there a way to set the cache cleanup/expiration time to be higher or infinite?

Essentially, I have a large expandable cache set, but with time the cache shrinks as it automatically removes data, presumedly if it's not accessed soon/often enough.

I'd like the cache to remain at it's maximum level until I see fit to clear it myself, or there after no longer any files in the drive to cache.

Is this possible? Perhaps with one of the other cache modes besides expandable?

4 answers to this question

I think you're misunderstand what is going on, actually.

The expandable cache stays at the specified size, as much as it can. However, it can/will expand past that when writing data to the drive.  So, as you write data, it will grow larger.  As the software uploads data, it will reduce the size down until it hits the specified size. 

Otherwise, the cache stays at it's size or the maximum limit specified, normally. 

This post talks about this:
http://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=The Local Cache

I actually think I know what I was observing.

It would seem that if the cache hosting drive nears (or perhaps hits) it's full capacity, the entirety of the cache appears to get wiped.

This is probably intended behavior, so I've simply set the cache to a smaller size, which seems to more or less resolve the issue.

It's worth mentioning that in low disk space scenarios, the drive will also stop writing entirely.

With about 3GBs of space left on the cache hosting disk (with expandable cache set to minimal) it will entirely disable upload IO. This is independant of upload size, so for example, with 3GBs of space on the cache drive left, you'll still be unable to upload a 700MB file.

Upload IO is also significantly slowed in the range of only 4-6GBs of space on the cache hosting drive.

This is worth noting, as it can lead to scenarios where you're trying to move files off the cache hosting drive into the cloud drive, but be unable to make more room for the cache.