Refs?

ncage

Question

Hi Everyone. This question really applies to both Stablebit Scanner & DrivePool but I had to pick a spot where to post it :P. Is there really any reason, as far as your products are concerned, to keep formatting drives with NTFS instead of ReFS? Of course, ReFS has some nice advantages but i'm going to stick with what you recommend. Up to this point, all my drives have been formatted with NTFS. I'm assuming that some drives being NTFS & some drives being ReFS won't be an issue either. I know there are some limitations with stablebit scanner being able to fix corruption but with that being said would that make you stick with NTFS?

thanks...

7 answers to this question

NTFS is still recommended. 

There are known issues with ReFS, such as memory leaks. And the rapidly changing versions means that rolling back your system may make your data inaccessible. 

Additionally, some features of StableBit Scanner do not work on ReFS (any file system stuff)

And StableBit DrivePool does disable mixed filesystems by default. 

3 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

NTFS is still recommended. 

There are known issues with ReFS, such as memory leaks. And the rapidly changing versions means that rolling back your system may make your data inaccessible. 

Additionally, some features of StableBit Scanner do not work on ReFS (any file system stuff)

And StableBit DrivePool does disable mixed filesystems by default. 

Thanks, Drashna. I might ask in a year or so to see if the status has changed any but for now i, of course, will go with your recommendation.

As I'm just re-building my homeserver (Windows Server 2016) and switching back from a Unix system due to the need of a windows platform for my DVB-S2 stuff I'm wondering if I should format my new drives with ReFS or NTFS...

What's your current recommendation? For the Drivepool bit alone I'd choose ReFS as there seems to be more benefits than drawbacks, but I'm a bit held back by the limitations in the StableBit Scanner software which seems like it would be an extremely useful tool..

My recommendation would be to use NTFS.   
If you want to use ReFS, that's not a problem, but I would use it for static data that doesn't change (not recorded TV or IP camera stuff, unless it's "archive" stuff). 
Additionally, if you use ReFS, you may want run the powershell "Set-FileIntegrity" command on the drive in question, right after formatting.  Otherwise, you don't actually game this benefit on "normal" files. 

And you're right, StableBit Scanner doesn't fully support ReFS drives. So if you want more support from StableBit Scanner, then you want to use NTFS.

The big thing is, though, if this is a lot of larger files, then you will want to manually format the drives, and use larger cluster (Allocation Unit) size, as this may get you better performance, and reduce fragmentation.