Another question on changing cluster size

slongmire

Question

I am running WSE2012 (not R2) as my home server and recently replaced LOTS of very old 4tb disks with new 12tb disks. I reorganized and greatly simplified my DrivePool structure from 7 down to just two now, but sadly realized after nearly getting everything right I REALLY wish I had slowed down to consider formatting the "F: - File History Backups" drives as 64k clusters instead of 4k. 

I use this pool to receive the Macrium Reflect images of each client pc each night - so the file sizes are always BIG. The pool curently consists of 2 12tb drives (4k cluster), 2 5tb (4k) and 2 8tb (64k). I read apost about using load balancing to convert the cluster size, but could not find the option describe in my version of Drive Pool 2.2.0.877. the pool is set for 2x file duplication.

SO - Can I remove one 12 tb disk at a time - reformat it with 64k and then just add it back and let the pool rebuild SAFELY - i.e - without destroying the backups already stored?  I would physically remove the drive after a shut down and do the formatting on a separate machine and then place it back.

Sorry to be so scatterbrained about this - One of the 4tb drives in this machine died  and I thought I'd lost all the redirected user directory, but was able to find a backup and recovered 90% - so I'm a little gun shy right now!

Thanks for great support of a really great product!

1 answer to this question

6 hours ago, slongmire said:

I read apost about using load balancing to convert the cluster size, but could not find the option describe in my version of Drive Pool 2.2.0.877. the pool is set for 2x file duplication.

I think you're looking for the "Drive Usage Limiter" balancer.   but....

SO - Can I remove one 12 tb disk at a time - reformat it with 64k and then just add it back and let the pool rebuild SAFELY - i.e - without destroying the backups already stored?  I would physically remove the drive after a shut down and do the formatting on a separate machine and then place it back.

You'd want to use the "Duplicate data later" option, but yes.  And it will complain about "not enough disks" for duplication, until you re-add the drive. 

And you wouldn't need to pull the disk out. And normally, I'd comment about getting the right disk, but the "Duplicate data later" option should leave that data on the drive anyways. So you should be good, either way. 

Sorry to be so scatterbrained about this - One of the 4tb drives in this machine died  and I thought I'd lost all the redirected user directory, but was able to find a backup and recovered 90% - so I'm a little gun shy right now!

Absolutely understand!  Better safe than sorry!