Hard Shutdown and Re-Measuring

JazzMan

Question

Occasionally my server does not shut down completely.  It gets to a black screen but the power never actually goes off without holding the power button.  When this happens, on reboot DP goes through the lengthy re-measuring/checking of the pool(s) again.  I have not determined the root cause of why the system does not shut down cleanly;  I don't see anything obvious in the logs, and don''t make any software updates I can relate to this;  Windows Update is turned off.  Is there something I can do before shutdown to ensure DP gets stopped cleanly?  Can I stop the Stablebit service then shut down?  Would that help?  I'm guessing not?  Is it the file system itself that is marking that the pool needs re-measured.

Win 7 x64 SP1
DP 2.2.0.852

6 answers to this question

In the wiki  it mentions rebooting after turning the key combination on.  You should also mention that "After you're done, you can disable the manual system crash key combination by double clicking on bugcheck_off.reg." you also need to reboot for the change to take effect. 

Sorry, I haven't been working on that system in a while. When I left it it was still a sporadic issue. I never got to the bottom of why the system would hang, nor why when that happened DP felt it needed to re-scan all 150TB. I would suggest you collect the logs Chris asks for above and submit a support ticket specific to your situation.