NTFS vs REFS

charlieny100

Question

3 answers to this question

As a user of largish pools (2 x 50TB) that I've had on both NTFS, and ReFS I'd summary as follows:

- NTFS : Subject to issues with file corruption.  I lost an entire pool when I got some error with my controller and the disks.... chkdsk then decided to "help" by reallocating sectors in its file allocation table.  Had to re-rip my entire collection over weeks (now I have 2 pools - one to backup the other)

- ReFS : Never had an issue with file corruption (you can not even run chkdsk!).... and have not had any memory leak issues for the years I've been using ReFS..... till my new build this month!  It was hard to pin down where the issue was as it was new Version of Windows, Mobo, Chipset, Mem, CPU (8700K) and Firmware/BIOS Settings.  It is currently now working fine (but I did change RAM, reduce my OC and add 2 of the 3 ReFS Registry settings).

Given the above I'd still suggest ReFS especially if you are on an existing system that is stable.

On 11/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, jmone said:

NTFS : Subject to issues with file corruption.  I lost an entire pool when I got some error with my controller and the disks.... chkdsk then decided to "help" by reallocating sectors in its file allocation table.  Had to re-rip my entire collection over weeks (now I have 2 pools - one to backup the other)

Was the disk MBR or GPT?  This does make a difference, as GPT stores partition info twice (once at the beginning, like MBR, and at the very end). 

All of your disks should be GPT.  The only exception is the system disk, if you're stuck on a BIOS based system. 

On 11/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, jmone said:

ReFS : Never had an issue with file corruption (you can not even run chkdsk!)..

It should be noted that file integrity is only enabled on system files by default. You would need to manually enable it for the rest of the disk.