Is folder structure replicated on the drives?

DVDAPEX

Question

Hi.  I don't yet have DrivePool (yes, I know 30 day trial, but before I do...) but I was wondering how the folder structure looks when spread across multiple drives.  For example, let's say I have an enormous photo collection (not pron!) stored in a pool that crosses 3 drives (let's call them Drive 1, Drive 2 and Drive 3).  In the pool, I'm assuming a path might look something like this:

P:\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\Pic0000000.jpg

If this folder was spread over the 3 drives, would each drive look something like this?

Drive 1

D:\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\Pic0000000.jpg

D:\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\Pic0000077.jpg

D:\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\Pic0000300.jpg

Drive 2

E:\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\Pic0300000.jpg

E:\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\Pic0000458.jpg

E:\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\Pic0023415.jpg

Drive 3

F:\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\Pic0300124.jpg

F:\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\Pic0005710.jpg

If this is the case, then if I removed a drive and looked at the contents, I wouldn't have all of the pictures, but I would have a structure according to my design and understandable to me as opposed to something cryptic like F:\asdfu4323jkasdf09234j5igdsa\Pic0005710.jpg

Which scenario is the case (or is it something different altogether?)? 

3 answers to this question

Yes. Each HDD will have a hidden poolpart* folder that you can see by having explorershow hidden files. Within that folder, you have your normal folders structure on each HDD. A single HDD may not have all Folders in case the duplictaes are stored on the other two HDDs but if there is a file on a HDD then it is placed in a folder that is understandable to you.

Edit: Misread, you are not duplicting. Yes, remove a drive, put it in another system, view hidden folders and files and within the poolpart folder the folderstructure will be as you see it, e.g., Vacartions\US\2014 etc.

14 hours ago, DVDAPEX said:

For example, let's say I have an enormous photo collection (not pron!) 

No judgement if you did. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.  I have 20TBs of... so ....

14 hours ago, DVDAPEX said:

If this folder was spread over the 3 drives, would each drive look something like this?

It would be X:\PoolPart.xxxxx\Photos\Vacations\US\2014\Hawaii\" specifically.  

All of the pooled content is stored relative to these poolpart folders. DrivePool effectively combine/concatenate the drives (under the PoolPart path, at least).