Drivepool very slow when measuring

mayorville

Question

I've noticed with the latest beta that when DP is measuring, that trying to access the pool is very slow, and when I try to open a small file, I'm having to wait before it actually tries to open.  Other times, it will acct like the drive pool isn't in file explorer.

Is there a limit on the number of drives before setting out run slow, or is there a way to tell it at what time to measure

No files on the pool have changed, but yet it's measuring after they reboot.  Ok another computer, our doesn't measure after every reboot.

This is a W7 machine & using the latest public beta.  On the public "released" version, I didn't recall it measuring after every boot

13 answers to this question

It was the latest public beta 2.2.0.852 & again this is a W7 machine.  Not sure if it's best to use an older version with W7 or not, as it seemed in the past I had better luck with the released version.  That being said, the beta seemed to complete the measuring faster compared to the released version.  Not sure if I was just seeing things or not    Thank you for confirming that it shouldn't measure after each boot.  The only time I noticed that it would start over was if it didn't complete the measuring before a restart occurred.

18 hours ago, mayorville said:

That being said, the beta seemed to complete the measuring faster compared to the released version.  Not sure if I was just seeing things or not

We massively reworked the measuring code, so no, you're not seeing things.

18 hours ago, mayorville said:

The only time I noticed that it would start over was if it didn't complete the measuring before a restart occurred.

In this case, yeah, that would be more normal.

12 hours ago, RJGNOW said:

I'm seeing the same exact problem, but also with the previous beta on an 2012 R2 machine. As a matter of fact we believe it's causing the Services service to eventual use 100% of the CPU and thus locking up the server HARD (where a hard reset is necessary)

Though, IIRC, the service isn't actually what is doing the measuring though.

If it is still happening on the 877 build, let me know

7 hours ago, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Though, IIRC, the service isn't actually what is doing the measuring though.

If it is still happening on the 877 build, let me know

I'm sorry Christopher, It's is the 'System' service. If drive pool completes it's measuring (most of the time once the System service gets to ~95% it's game over; Drivepool never completes) the System service CPU usage drops significantly, <2%.  Also I notice it's a slow 'build up' of CPU usage over time, and usually when it hits 100% the system will soon crash and reboot.

This is just an observation that I'm attributing to the last 2 beta's. The problem may not have anything to do with Drivepool directly, but it does seem like it's causing it in some way. I will try the latest (877) build Monday night.

I personally went back to the release version (I think 2.1.561) & haven't had any issues.  By chance are the later version more geared towards W10?   The reason I ask, is I seem to have better luck with the "release" version on my W7 machine & it seems that I can run the beta's on my W10 machine.

On 11/14/2017 at 12:02 AM, mayorville said:

By chance are the later version more geared towards W10?  

No.  There is no optimization or changes to make it run better on Windows 10.

It is possible that some changes or bug fixes do happen to work better on Windows 10, and not as well on Windows 7, but that is not intentional nor by design. 

We do actively support all "active" OS versions. That definitely includes windows 7, until 2020 (when Microsoft officially ends support for Windows 7).

You can see our changelog here: http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/changes.txt

877 is still slow measuring (like hours just to measure 7Tbs of data), which causes the network shares to be real slow.....  however I think I may have figured out, at least in part, what is driving the System service CPU usage way up. Apparent it was the Windows Search service. Is it possible for the last few betas to have issue with the Search service on 2012 R2?

That's the rub, the Search service was not consuming cycles, but some how the combination of DP and Search was driving the System service over it's limit.  Needless to say I don't think I need the Search service (at least not as much as I need DP) on the server so shutting it down doesn't seem to have effected much.