W10 Network / (Notworks).

britgeezer

Question

You guys have your act together and do advanced stuff :P

I'd be content pay for a program that doesn't use Homegroup and acts like Network Magic used to. = Easy Network setup..

I've spent too many hours transitioning from WHS 2011 to W10 update XXXXXXXXXXXXXX  with Networks.

Sadly Network Magic is not available for W10 and in my opinion simple networking is beast in W10.

3 answers to this question

Thanks!:)

Well, if you're using Windows 10 Pro, then try running "fsmgmt.msc". 

if you want to use WHS style, set the share permissions to "everyone" to have full control, and then fall back on NTFS permissions.

And make sure that each system has matching accounts.  

To be honest, networking, and file shares are a royal PITA.  And the built in configuration stuff is basically designed for sys admin, that know what they're doing.  they're not designed for "the average guy" (though, it wouldn't take much to do so). 

Also, Plex/Emby are good multimedia solutions, and may work great for you. 

As for web stuff, Untangle is a great router type device/OS that may work great for that. 

Thanks! :)

Well, if you're using Windows 10 Pro, then try running "fsmgmt.msc". 

if you want to use WHS style, set the share permissions to "everyone" to have full control, and then fall back on NTFS permissions.

And make sure that each system has matching accounts.  

Tried that still couldn't access the DP folders.  That matching accounts made me think.

Well after lots of W10 updating of Fall edition on 4 PC's (now all on same version) I decided it was time to add the M2's I had. Some ended up as clean installs.

That got rid of the pesky Homegroup that was causing issues when it couldn't be removed or shared, I tried many of the tips above without success - sometimes I could see the server but not access it (incorrect admin rights or some other excuse)  - I was going crazy. ;)

I decided to try home-group one last time, it worked! But of course I still couldn't see my Drive Pool, spent a while looking at shares for DP and found an option to add the DP folders to the regular W10 folders.

Damn me it worked!

Since sharing DP Folders to other PC's was my objective - i'm happy :wub:

So far I'm able to do what I needed, including setting up overnight backups from each PC to the DP folders I used to use on WHS 2011. B)  Plus I can see the DP folders from each PC!

When I'm sure it works I'll post some screen shots of that special little feature; the answer to emulating WHS 2011 sharing was actually stupidly easy. :rolleyes:

BG

Glad to hear it! 

And homegroups are basically just automating this for you. They use a special account with matching passwords.  That's ... pretty much all they are. With little or no fine grained control.

But to be completely honest, networking is probably one of the most complex/complicated/difficult parts of Windows (or any OS, really). So, don't feel bad about this, at all.  It's ... a pain for even experienced users.