Server randomly crashing.

JohnKimble

Question

I hope someone can help me with this issue and pinpoint the problem i am having with my server.

Basically what happens is that when I RDP into my server I see the server as randomly rebooted. Searching through event viewer I find errors/warnings like this:

The application System with process id 4 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_6F04&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_01\3&11583659&0&10.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\svchost.exe with process id 8 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_6F04&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_01\3&11583659&0&10.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\smss.exe with process id 476 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_6F04&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_01\3&11583659&0&10.

The application \Device\HarddiskVolume4\Windows\System32\csrss.exe with process id 616 stopped the removal or ejection for the device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_6F04&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_01\3&11583659&0&10.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x40800 for Disk 3 (PDO name: \Device\00000039) was retried.

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.

Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.

Now I am in the process of removing Disk 3 from my DrivePool but can a bad disk in my pool cause my entire system to crash? Or am I looking at hardware related trouble elsewhere?

3 answers to this question

Now I am in the process of removing Disk 3 from my DrivePool but can a bad disk in my pool cause my entire system to crash? Or am I looking at hardware related trouble elsewhere?

Yes.  A single bad drive can cause the ENTIRE system to become unstable.   

Not only is Windows very sensitive to I/O problems, but a bad drive could cause weird behavior as well. 

My recommendation would be to physically disconnect the problem drive and see if that fixes the issues that you're seeing.  If it does, then that's definitely the culprit.   Otherwise, reconnect it and continue removing it. 

Also, you may want to run "chkdsk c: /f" on the system, just in case.

As for the rest, run the StableBit Troubleshooter on the system in question

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

Use "3202" as the Contact ID for the troubleshooter. 

I think I found the source of all my problems, because I had no more free SATA ports on my motherboard I bought a "Delock PCI Express Card > Hybrid 4 x internal SATA 6 Gb/s RAID". I removed it and so far so good. Delock is going on my blacklist, I also had a Delock USB3.0 to SATA adapter that was shady as hell. Never again I am going to expose my data to cheap/unknown brands...

Now have to reset Stablebit Scanner because im pretty sure all these "unreadable sectors/blocks" are perfectly fine.

A Dell H310 with an Intel RES2SV240 is in transit, good thing I already ordered this since I can take 15 days to get here.

Ah, yeah..... 

Well, the card itself seems to be a Marvell based chipset, which are usually fine.

So yeah, it's likely poor manufacturing or design.  

But glad it was a simple enough issue. 

And the Dell H310 and SAS expander will serve you very well.   That's 20 drives that you can hook up there, plus 4 more on the controller.  So .... you should be set for drives for a while. :)