Multiple drives with specific data coming to Drive Pool

OldSoftware

Question

I'm a newbie so be kind.  :)

I currently am getting ready to install DP under Win7 and abandon my wonderful WHS system. WHS is managing data for three computers.  I have 600+GB of data on three logical drives under WHS. I am using Crashplan to back all of this up.

I have a W: drive with music, an X: drive with data and a Y: drive with lots of downloaded stuff (400+GB). Each drive has many (hundreds)  folders.  I plan on pooling three 2TB drives after I copy the data to them and use the technique at http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

Can I keep the three logical drive types with their folders using DP?

I'm going to create one more drive letter after the pool is set up that will be used for backup for my home computers. Can it be kept separate also?

10 answers to this question

Maybe I'm not clear. I want w, x, y in the drive pool but I want them to have drive letters like they are now with all there folders under them. I want to access by drive letters for Crashplan backup and restore.  i'm assuming that the pool would be the sum of what ever I put in the pool and large enough to hold all three drives plus.

The answer suggested is much more than I want and I'm not sure I understand it.

Let me try one more time. If I have unique folders with in them files say:  W:\test \1.txt, X:\test\1.txt, Y:\test \1.txt  W:, X:, and Y: are three logical partitions in the WHS V2 pool which is four physical disks. Each 1.txt is unique and accessible.

I pool everything to one pool using DP, which is what I think WHS does.

Are W:\test X:\test, Y:\test  available in DP as three drive letters with three folders with there separate files or are all TEST folders combined?

Today, I'm using Crashplan to backup each drive letter on a different schedule.If necessary, I can restore W:\test\1.txt and it will got to the proper place on the W: partition.

To followup, http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/3167-bought-drivepool-now-what/sounds like everything would be lumped into one giant pool.

The "\test" folders are not.  in fact, anything outside of the hidden "PoolPart" folder is considered outside of the pool, and doesn't show up in the pool, at all

However, if you move these into the pool, and remeasure, it will detect that the files are different and flag them as "duplication mismatch" and prompt you to resolve the conflicts, overwriting the copies with the most recent version.  

(the conflict resolution is simple, and something we do plan on revamping in the future)

Difference between WHS 2003 native pool and drive pool:

WHS pools all the disks then you can setup drive letters within the pool. Individual disks do not need letters.

Drivepool does the opposite, you assign dirve letters to blocks of data on a drive, then assign those drive letters to a pool. The problem with this you are limited to about 20 drive blocks and you run out of letters.

Obviously, I'm missing something as you cannot have 31 drives as one user has with what i just outlined.

Here is what I used where W:, X: and Y: are three pools.

See PNG attachment

post-8960-0-28569600-1508528282_thumb.png

StableBit DrivePool doesn't actually use drive letter for accessing the pool.  

They are there because Windows auto-assigns them, and for your convenience. 

As for accessing the data on the drives, you don't need drive letters. 

While most programs basically do,  you can also mount the disks to folder paths.  This would eliminate the need for drive letters and keep the disks accessible.   And you'd access the data from something like "C:\Drives\Drive X"  or "C:\Drives\Enclosure 1\TV"

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624

So by mounting the drives to folder paths, you could have as many drives as you can connect (the upper limit I've seen is 256 drives) and have access to all of them.  But you'd have a rather cluttered directory structure to navigate. 

OK, I somehow thought I had to have drive letters. Well, I'm set up now and might just stay with what I have for now. Everything seems to be working although Window Explorer is junkie.

I also discovered that a program I use called Everything from Void, won't display the Pool letter if the files are in the root. I shouldn't have files in the root anyway but I do. I'm cleaning that up now.

I definitely understand the "brainwashed on Drive Letters". I was that way for a very long time, myself! 

As for the manual, I'll see if we can add some more of that sort of info to it.

As for CrashPlan, I'm not sure.   If it's pointed at the pool, there should be no issues. 

Otherwise, as long as the drives are mounted to folder paths, that should be fine, as well (I believe).