GSuite, Cloud Drive, Plex, Gigabit, Prefetch Settings

Soaringswine

Question

Hi all,

I have a home 1 Gb/s up/down connection and a very beefy Plex server. I use Cloud Drive with GSuite and a 500 GB SSD cache drive. 90% of my content is high bitrate 1080p video. I was wondering what the ideal I/O performance settings were.

I get pretty good performance as it is with these settings, but some things are a bit unclear and I'd like to optimize things:

Download threads: 10

Minimum download size: 100 MB

Prefetch trigger: 10 MB

Prefetch forward: 3000 MB

Prefetch time window: 30 seconds

It seems the prefetcher isn't too intelligent on the file level. That is, if I'm accessing a 1000 MB file, it still prefetches 3000 MB of data. But from where? Just the next contiguous 2000 MB of blocks? Ideally I'd want to set the prefetch forward to something like 15000 MB which would be the size of my largest media files, but then I think it'd prefetch 15 GB of data on every prefetch, regardless if it's relevant.

How does the minimum download size work with the prefetcher? It's my understanding that essentially if your cloud block size < minimum download size, it says to always download however many blocks it needs to fill up the minimum download size. How does that work with the prefetcher?

I'm still unclear how the prefetch trigger and the time window relate. In another thread I think it essentially says if 10 MB of data is accessed for 30 seconds, prefetch 3000 MB? I'm not exactly sure how that would work with a gigabit connection. As 10 MB would never take 30 seconds to download.

All that aside, if I have a gigabit connection, does the prefetcher actually help? It seems that sometimes there are download activities going on alongside prefetch activities and I wonder if they cause issues. Any other optimization tips?

Thanks!

19 answers to this question

Ok, did some experimenting!

So, the prefetcher from what I understand now is essentially another, higher priority, "cache", and the window is how long the prefetcher keeps that data around. I've observed DRASTICALLY better performance by increasing the trigger to 100 MB and the window to around 30 minutes.

I also increased Transcoder default throttle buffer in Plex to 10 minutes so that it will go ahead and keep requesting additional data.

Another question: does data ever move from the prefetcher into the normal cache or is it dropped after your set window no matter what?

The window is actually a threshold that triggers the prefetch if the trigger amount of data is requested within that time. For plex, I would leave your trigger at 1MB and the window at something like 30 secs. 150MB forward prefetch should be sufficient for even the highest bitrate video files. 

You also should definitely lower that Plex transcoder throttle time. That's 10 minutes of CPU time, not 10 minutes of normal old clock time. That's *waaaaaay* too much. Leave it at like 60 secs to 120 secs. 

The window is actually a threshold that triggers the prefetch if the trigger amount of data is requested within that time. For plex, I would leave your trigger at 1MB and the window at something like 30 secs. 150MB forward prefetch should be sufficient for even the highest bitrate video files. 

You also should definitely lower that Plex transcoder throttle time. That's 10 minutes of CPU time, not 10 minutes of normal old clock time. That's *waaaaaay* too much. Leave it at like 60 secs to 120 secs. 

The window does not appear to function like that. You can change the window and watch the prefetched data get held in the UI for the time you set. Try setting the window to 30 minutes and set a timer, it'll hold that prefetched data for 30 minutes and then drop it. How would 1 MB in 30 seconds work? If it did work how you are saying, how do you access 1 MB in 30 seconds? It would take like a couple seconds at MOST to access that much data so it would never trigger that "window". The other issue with a low trigger size is that if Plex or any other program is analyzing file metadata, it triggers the prefetcher and clogs up it up even if it only needs to read parts of an entire file.

Do you have any proof that the Transcoder default throttle buffer is CPU time? "Amount in seconds to buffer before throttling back the transcoder speed." is what the Plex site says and I can't find any other sources other than suggested amounts on the Rclone forums of 10 minutes. Even if it is CPU time, it tells Plex to keep trancoding additional data and the Plex client will buffer and cache it.

In any case, I am certainly getting better performance with these settings. I can see spikes of data streaming / trancoding when the large prefetch gets downloaded and then processed by Plex and sent to the client. I watched 4x 1080p streams get handled flawlessly. That being said, I do have gigabit and 20x 2 GHz cores on the server.

• Prefetch Trigger

This is the amount of data that needs to be read sequentially in order to trigger the prefetcher.

• Prefetch Forward

Once prefetching is triggered, this is the amount of data that will be pre-downloaded ahead of the current read request.

• Prefetch Time Window

This controls how quickly the sequential read requests have to occur in order to trigger the prefetcher

So, you generally want smaller values for this.  

10MB/100MB/30s is a good value, if you want a lot to be downloaded.

The prefetch trigger has to happen within the prefetch time window.

For example, with the prefetch trigger set to 10 MB and the prefetch time window set to 30 seconds, if an application reads 10MB of a file sequentially, but it does so very slowly and takes longer than 30 seconds to do it, that won't trigger the prefetcher.

And this is a "rolling" prefetcher, Meaning that as long as data keeps getting read, it will keep going out and prefetching it. 

And yes, the prefetcher (and generally, all of CloudDrive) is file system agnostic.  It doesn't look at the files on the drive, nor the access of them. It looks at how the blocks of data are being accessed. 

And yes, the prefetcher is aware of the minimum download size, and will actually grab blocks in that chunk, with extra data (eg, if it's "too much") being retained, as well. 

The window does not appear to function like that. You can change the window and watch the prefetched data get held in the UI for the time you set. Try setting the window to 30 minutes and set a timer, it'll hold that prefetched data for 30 minutes and then drop it. How would 1 MB in 30 seconds work? If it did work how you are saying, how do you access 1 MB in 30 seconds? It would take like a couple seconds at MOST to access that much data so it would never trigger that "window". The other issue with a low trigger size is that if Plex or any other program is analyzing file metadata, it triggers the prefetcher and clogs up it up even if it only needs to read parts of an entire file.

I don't know what to tell you. It does function like that. Please see the documentation at https://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=I/O%20Performance. Your concerns are also misguided. It is a maximum window, not a required window. If it accesses 1MB during any time *less* than the window it will trigger the prefetch. So 1MB in 30secs is very easy to hit. An 8 mbps video file would trigger the prefetch in one second with a 1MB trigger; a 4mbps video file would trigger it in 2 secs. 

Do you have any proof that the Transcoder default throttle buffer is CPU time? "Amount in seconds to buffer before throttling back the transcoder speed." is what the Plex site says and I can't find any other sources other than suggested amounts on the Rclone forums of 10 minutes. Even if it is CPU time, it tells Plex to keep trancoding additional data and the Plex client will buffer and cache it.

You can see a Plex employee explain the setting here: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/216069/verify-transcoder-throttle-buffer

It is, in any case, not a necessary setting to modify if your CloudDrive settings are correct. CloudDrive is plenty responsive enough, particularly on a 1gbps connection, to download the necessary data in chunks without affecting your streaming. Let the server throttle down to make room for another stream. It'll unthrottle when it needs to regardless, so you're not really gaining anything.  

In any case, I am certainly getting better performance with these settings. I can see spikes of data streaming / trancoding when the large prefetch gets downloaded and then processed by Plex and sent to the client. I watched 4x 1080p streams get handled flawlessly. That being said, I do have gigabit and 20x 2 GHz cores on the server.

You'd likely get even more performance if you optimized things correctly. My server is only an E3 1245v2 and it easily handles 5-8 simultaneous streams on a daily basis, and most of my media is stored in Remux quality (20-35mbps or so). Yours should be able to handle far, far more than 4 1080p streams with your specs. 

I suggest these settings for Plex based on a lot of testing and experimentation:

Download threads: 10

Upload threads: 5

Upload threshold: Irrelevant, really, but 1MB/5mins

Minimum Download Size: 10MB

Prefetch trigger: 1MB

Prefetch Forward: 150MB

Prefetch time window: 30secs

20MB storage chunks on gdrive, largest RAM chunk cache and expandable cache you can accommodate with your setup. 

That should provide you with a responsive drive with more than enough speed to stream basically anything you throw at it. 

EDIT: Just saw that Christopher responded at the same time. His suggestion of a 10MB trigger is probably fine too. I'd imagine 1MB or 10MB makes little difference with high quality media. You want it to prefetch often for Plex, in any case. 

thanks guys, that all makes sense.

I still think there's something funky with the "Prefetched:" figure in the UI then. Seriously, try modifying the the Prefetch Time Window to something like 10 seconds, then prefetch something. That number will go up to the amount that you prefetched (150 MB or whatever), then drop down to 0 MB (and disappear), 10 seconds later. Now set it to 300 seconds and prefetch. It'll keep that data for 300 seconds, then drop down to 0 MB (and disappear).

so either there's a bug in the UI, the documentation is wrong, or the functionality is different.

I think the prefetch functionality remains a little unclear in the documentation. I'd love for Alex to give an account of how it works in more detail as well. It would help a lot with respect to optimization. One question that I still have is whether or not defragmenting the drive would help the prefetcher to obtain contiguous data while streaming. Based on my current understanding of how the process works, I think it would. But that's still a bit unclear. Perhaps Christopher could ask for a nuts and bolts post on the feature?

thanks guys, that all makes sense.

I still think there's something funky with the "Prefetched:" figure in the UI then. Seriously, try modifying the the Prefetch Time Window to something like 10 seconds, then prefetch something. That number will go up to the amount that you prefetched (150 MB or whatever), then drop down to 0 MB (and disappear), 10 seconds later. Now set it to 300 seconds and prefetch. It'll keep that data for 300 seconds, then drop down to 0 MB (and disappear).

so either there's a bug in the UI, the documentation is wrong, or the functionality is different.

The reason for that prefetching is that the trigger has to occur over the course of the time window.    Setting the window too low, or the trigger too high means that it's not as likely to trigger the prefetching.   Which is what you were seeing. 

The trigger is happening regardless, it's the "Prefetched" amount that stays around longer, indicating to me that the prefetched data is being kept in the prefetch cache longer. this also means you can easily accrue 10-30 GB of prefetch cache if you set your window high.

try my experiment that I stated above, you'll see.

As long as you have the space in the cache, it will keep the prefetched data. 

Also, older (stale) data may be pushed out of the cache, depending. 

Otherwise, even with the default settings, I see it prefetching, and maintaining a small amount of data (roughly 70MBs) is it's reading a number of smaller files. 

heh.. now I'm trying to find the best settings for 4K UHD Remuxes (400 - 500 megabit/s bitrate..).

any tips? I can't seem to get more than 350 Mb/s prefetching (a "cache this specific file ahead of time" option would be amazing!). wondering if I'm hitting crypto limitations.. my CPU has AES-NI but it's an older implementation and each thread is only 2.0 GHz (20 threads on the Clouddrive VM total).

edit: hmm looks like it was just a media client issue. seems 4K remuxes stream fine now.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:45 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

10MB/100MB/30s, on the latest public beta (as of today/last night) should get decent/good bluray playback. 

At least, that's what Alex (the dev) has tested on. 

awesome! could you maybe ping Alex and get some clarification on the 30s bit? because the behavior of the window isn't exactly as its described elsewhere (it seems to control how long data is held in the prefetcher).

I think Christopher already answered that question above. The data is kept in the cache as long as there is space, so it doesn't have anything to do with duration. Once the prefetcher grabs the data, it's in the cache until the caching algorithm needs the space. So the time is a window.

1 hour ago, srcrist said:

I think Christopher already answered that question above. The data is kept in the cache as long as there is space, so it doesn't have anything to do with duration. Once the prefetcher grabs the data, it's in the cache until the caching algorithm needs the space. So the time is a window.

That's how i took it as well @srcrist

20 hours ago, srcrist said:

right, I understand what is being stated, but observed behavior is different. If you change the prefetch window to X seconds, then trigger the prefetcher, the prefetcher seems to hold the data for X seconds. Please see the two gifs I made illustrating the functionality:

20 second prefetch window:

a4RTdlg.gif

60 second prefetch window:

IPycmtW.gif

Right. But no matter what you set that to, the data will *still* be in the cache at the end of that period. I don't know why the UI only shows the prefetched amount for that duration. You might just be noticing a UI bug. But as long as the functionality is as Christopher says, it shouldn't really matter what the UI is saying, the data is still available indefinitely.