Drive Scanning?

marquis6461

Question

Came across a problem last week and wanted to ask.

DrivePool (Latest Beta Version BTW) - When system restarts, Re-check, of for some reason.  Default seems to be the order in which the system has identified the drive.  IE D: 3434395 (Disk 1) thru X: 3435787654 (Disk 15)

Drive Cloud (Latest Version) Settings in drive pool: duplicate only.  2 Virtual Drives set at 10TB  List as Disk 16 & 17)

I have watched it go thru a recheck many times and it always starts and ends that way.

I was tempted to try to link the Drive Cloud and Drive Pool together with the Drive Cloud handling all duplicate files and the local drives handling all the unduplicated.  Reason:  I could lose info in the cloud drive but if I had a local and offsite copy,  I'm happy.

I have tinkered around with the balancing plugins and now have made a mess.  Thankfully a lot has not been uploaded and I was able to clean up the mess before it got too bad.

Is there a current setting you can explain that will ensure the required outcome.

I can tell you that if you reset to default values after letting the system crunch on something for days, it makes a mess.  My drives got filled trying to duplicate and caused my system to crash.

Due to new Bandwidth caps being placed and a lot of wasteful trial and error, I was hoping someone could give me a little help.

Note:  I do have offline backup of the 20TB+ TV Series but that would take days to restore.

5 answers to this question

You mean that it's remeasuring at every boot? 

If so, it shouldn't be doing that. 

And if you have a CloudDrive disk in the pool, and you're not using the latest beta version of StableBit DrivePool, that may be part of the reason. 

(2.2.0.852).   There are some startup/synchronization issues that we've addressed in the newer versions that should address this. 

I have them at both the latest Beta Now.

As was said before, Was Kind of scared to use Beta Versions because of the warnings about Beta Versions.

Updates, Fine  Betas No.

After I updated both, I did notice a drive refusing to show on DrivePool as an unpooled partition.  Can't add a drive if DrivePool can't see it.

Since it is a USB drive, I am draining it and will reformat it.  clean out the device driver and see it DP can see it.

The one thing I can say, is I wish the OS wasn't so confusing.  A drive should not need it's own personal version of a driver to work.

There have been times, I have had to remove hundreds of copies of Drivers (Unused)  from computers to make the damn things work better.

That's definitely understandable.   A lot of betas can be unstable because of the nature of beta.

However, I generally only recommend builds that I know are stable.  Not only do we have a lot of users "on the bleeding edge", but I tend to keep my systems there as well.   So if I recommend it, you can be reasonable sure that it's stable enough for production use. 

(aka, I wouldn't recommend it, if I wasn't sure about using it myself)

After I updated both, I did notice a drive refusing to show on DrivePool as an unpooled partition.  Can't add a drive if DrivePool can't see it.

Since it is a USB drive, I am draining it and will reformat it.  clean out the device driver and see it DP can see it.

This can happen sometimes with the settings have been corrupted, resetting the settings can fix that.

Also, in the beta versions, it doesn't allow mixed pools (NTFS, ReFS, one or the other, not both).  So that could be why. 

The one thing I can say, is I wish the OS wasn't so confusing.  A drive should not need it's own personal version of a driver to work.

There have been times, I have had to remove hundreds of copies of Drivers (Unused)  from computers to make the damn things work better.

well, DrivePool and CloudDrive use their own disk driver.  But, I'm sure you can understand why. :)

But yeah, I understand you. And I wish that there was a simpler way to clean up unused drivers and disconnected devices.... 

Chris, I think the problem is a little hard to explain but here is the problem.

Windows AKA (microsoft) loves to reboot your system for any reason.  When the system shuts down, it loses the links to the Cloud Drive.

Upon reboot, my system can take up to 10 minutes to find and reread the drive.  When you have a lot of accounts on Cloud Drive, you can wait for 30 minutes for all to come online.  And it seems like every few days, there is some reason to reboot.

I have tried detaching the drives from the system but the same happens and sometimes I have to manually reconnect them.

Not trying to be a pain but My internet is sometimes flakey and my modem resets.  That makes the router lose its setting for the modem and I have to go into the router and force it back on.  Not your problem I know but it seems to be the cross we are being forced to bear by new equipment and crap from the ISP.

If the system loses the link to the Cloud Drive, it takes a while to get it back.  One Drive,Dropbox, and Google Drive pop right back on.  They have been know to get corrupted so I only use them for things I don't care if the file gets lost. 

Well for the startup stuff, we have improved that in the beta versions.  I you're not using it, then upgrading my significantly help with the startup stuff.

As for the long startup time, unfortunately, that may not be something that we can avoid.  

As for the flaky internet connectivity, thre isn't a lot that we can do there.  Latency causes all sorts of problems, especially for I/O.  Windows is *very* sensitive about it.  That's why CloudDrive will automatically unmount drives.  Because the option is either lock up the system or unmount the drive.  It's not something we can really fix, because of how the OS itself handles it. 

That said, the "mount disconnected" option may help out here. At least, it would allow you to use the drives, with whatever is in the cache.   But this could also leaded to issues, as well, as you may not have complete data (larger caches would be better in this case).

Also, for the ISP stuff... worst case is that it may be worth researching and buying a good quality cable modem rather than using the cheap POS that many ISPs hand out.   (especially as many charge "rental fees" that after six months have costed you more than buying one outright)