Limit usage on an individual physical drive?

chiamarc

Question

Say I have several disks in my pool and I want to reserve extra space for "other" data on one or more individual disks.  That's to say, I don't want Disk x to use more than a certain percentage or byte threshold to store pool data.  Is there a way to do this short of splitting the drive into multiple partitions?

8 answers to this question

The main reason I asked for this is that I have a single SSD in my system that I use for my OS but I've got a couple hundred gig of free space that I ultimately intend to use for clouddrive (if I have the right encryption key ;) ).  I'd still like it to be part of a pool however or use the ssd balancer with it to good effect.

SO have you found the solution for this problem?

Well, to be blunt, it's a feature request, as it's a change in functionality rather than a bug.

As such, no, it hasn't been addressed yet.  We're looking at getting a stable release out before adding additional features.

However, Alex (the developer) has stated that this should be possible with the current balancing framework.   

The question now is "time" to work on it. 

So, until we have a stable release of DrivePool (and Scanner), we probably won't have a chance to add this.