True Bandwidth

chiamarc

Question

Hi Guys,

Thanks for an absolutely wonderful product.  I was just wondering, Comcast limits my data usage to 1 TiB per month (at $10 per 50GiB beyond that).  Since many cloud providers do not allow incremental chunk updates (like what I'm using, Box), then depending on the write workload, CD has to download chunks, change them, and re-upload them.  While the "To Upload" size measurement is accurate, the tooltip that gives an estimate of how long it will take to drain the upload queue is probably off by quite a bit, especially if one is changing files frequently.  Further, the total bandwidth used over a given period of time is not really reflected anywhere.  There are tools that allow me to measure (out-of-band) all CD traffic but it would be nice to know how much data was actually read/written in order to empty the upload queue, or for that matter, to do any set of operations.  This would help with my bandwidth management (knowing if I need to limit upload/download speed in CD at a given point in the month, or ideally, doing it automatically when I reach a certain threshold).  I guess this is a request for enhancement but I'm not sure how many other people have a similar need.

Thanks,

Marc

1 answer to this question

this is stuff we plan on adding in the future.  It didn't make it to the current build, and implementing this isn't going to be easy (which drive has priority, etc). 

That said, no matter how this is implemented, it won't line up with Comcast's measurements.  They're known to lie about this (I've seen reports of 400GB of usage when EVERYTHING was disconnected from the modem, so ....)