Any suggestion for fan control?

JohnKimble

Question

Hi, I enjoy Stablebit Scanner in combination with DrivePool.

Recently I switched from a Fractal Design R5 to a 24 Hot-swap Rack-mount since the R5 was so filled up I could barely put the side panel up. Now since the fans can't push the air anymore it has to "pull" or suck in the air from the front which is less efficient than the R5. Now I don't really want to keep the 3 inner 120mm fans running at 100% since that will result in a jet engine noise. :P

Now stablebit scanner can read the HDD temps now is there any software out there that can dynamically adjust the fan speeds based on the temperature of the HDDs? Let's say at 45degrees I want them to fully blast to keep them within a normal temp. In the R5 I had 30degrees (Celsius), now the HDD are pushing 40-50 since they are stacked closer together.

8 answers to this question

Maybe I am talking out of turn for you but have you looked at these

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-655704-Velocity-Blower-Yellow/dp/B006O6FA22/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1506448982&sr=8-22&keywords=fan

I had one like it and I used it on my server a while back in the Navy

To me, it was easier because I could place a filter on the front of the nozzle and insert it into the vent at the bottom of my rack.  This pushed a lot of air at a very low noise level.  I had used a  2 inch plastic pipe that I bought from the hardware store with t-fittings to make an air manifold for each section.  Do not use glue and it will be able to be taken apart if needed.  I suggest pipe clamps or zip ties.

I have air conditioner that is louder than it.

Just check the filter once a month  

Forgot to mention.  Use it on the lowest you can handle.  Just helping.

What rackmount case are you using? 

If you're using a Norco, then yeah, definitely swap out the fan wall and get high CFM fans. 

As for software, there are definitely things out there, but in my experience, they're not entirely stable.  

Also, somebody linked this elsewhere today:

https://www.tripplite.com/smartrack-7000-btu-120v-rack-mounted-air-conditioning-unit~SRCOOL7KRM/

Check out the Vortec Tornado series of fans.

They are ungodly loud but move an unbelievable amount of air.

I use them to cool 48 drives and they have been great.   Pair them with an inexpensive adjustable fan controller and they are completely tolerable and you always have the option of turning them up if needed.

Just two 80MM Tornados in the back of your Norco at 1/4 speed will amaze you.

I too would love automated fan controller software but I've never had good luck with any type of software fan control. (I.e.Fanspeed)  I'm sure it's due to the difference in controllers on motherboards.

~RF

hahahahaha

I used to have one of these.  I'll attest to the sheer amount of air it can move, as well as to the "ungodly loud".  As in, it's seriously louder than my server chassis fans....... 

As for the fan control, yeah.  That's why I tuck my server in a back room, and just run all the fans at 100%.   Ironically, the window AC unit is marginally louder than my entire rack. 

I swapped out the 80MM's in the rear of both my 4220 and 4224 Norco cases with the Vantec's. 

With those running on high you could probably get away with all three fans failing on the main fan board and just the two Vantecs in the rear would keep the cases cool.   They move that much air.

In each case I run all five of the fans (three 120MM Deltas on the fan board and the two rear 80's) through one of these in each case and it works way better than I expected.

Variable Fan Controller

It's fun to crank them all the way up (on the fan board I used the fastest 120MM Delta's I could find) and watch the cases hover.   

<grin>

My servers are in my basement and on high you can hear them throughout the whole house. (and I live in a cinder block and plaster house built in the 50's.)

With the above fan controller around 1/4 the way up they are nice and quiet and I haven't had to move the knob it in three years on either machine.

~RF