CrashPlan Real Time File Backup Broken After DrivePool Update

Wonko

Question

I had been running my WHS 2011 with DrivePool 2.2.0.651 for a long time with CrashPlan without any problems. After updating to 2.2.0.852, which required a clean install because of hibernation failures, I have discovered CrashPlan can no longer detect new file creation or changed files in the Pool (it still can on my C: drive). So, the real time file backups are not occurring for anything created or modified in the Pool. The new and changed files are not found until CrashPlan scans the entire Pool at the end of the day.

I know CrashPlan requires NTFS volumes for real time file backup, and my Pool is NTFS.

Is there a reasonable possibility something changed with the update that would cause CrashPlan to have trouble seeing file changes in the Pool? I will also check with CrashPlan to see if there is anything I can troubleshoot.

Thank you for your assistance.

4 answers to this question

Update: I followed the clean install procedure documented on the Wiki, and then I downgraded to 2.2.0.651. CrashPlan still could not detect file changes in the Pool, even after Measuring and Duplication checking were completed.

I then rebooted again since I did not do so after installing 2.2.0.651 (just the 3 times in the clean install procedure). Now, CrashPlan can detect real time file changes in the Pool, even though Measuring is again occurring. I am unclear why Measuring started over after rebooting since I waited until the Pool was green before I rebooted.

So, possibly there is something different about 2.2.0.852 compared to 2.2.0.651 that is causing CrashPlan to have real time file change detection problems in the Pool. I am using CrashPlan PRO 4.9.0 since I converted from CrashPlan Home a couple of weeks ago.

If I can do anything to help you investigate this strange behavior that may be DrivePool-related, please let me know.

I learned something that might be helpful from CrashPlan support:

“On windows CrashPlan uses NTFS events to watch for changing files.

So it is possible something in that update broke NTFS events.â€

I’m still happy to provide any information I can to help you determine if there is something different about the update that is causing the issue with CrashPlan. Just let me know what you need.

There are a lot of things that have changed between the two versions.  

You can see a full list here:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/changes.txt

If you want, enable logging and reproduce:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection