Win 7 Blue Screen 050 after DrivePool 2.2.0.852

slongmire

Question

I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit which has been remarkably stable for more than 4 years. I added a new HGST 8tb He drive to replace an HGST 5 tb drive that was making loud noises. I installed DrivePool (I believe the 561 version) at that time (about six months ago). All was quite well until DrivePool app said there was a new version, downloaded it and installed. The next day the computer blue screened with Page Fault in non paged area 0x000000050 error. I rebooted and watched for several days, and found that each time an application tried to access the drivepool using its assigned letter (q:), the blue screen results. It does not happen if I access the same directories using the real disk's letter (k:). This is the only physical drive n the pool at the moment.

If I recall, Drivepool itself installed version.850 when it found the newer version. As part of my own attempt to fix this I installed the .852 version to see if the problem was fixed. It is not.

I have memtested the machine, and double-checked all SATA connections, and believe the bluescreen originates from the newer versions of DrivePool. Please help and let me know what other information you need from me. Thanks!

7 answers to this question

I've spent days and days trying to get to the bottom of green screen of death on Windows 10... I kept blaming the new version of Sabnzbd, but since there were no issues posted on their forums was beginning to think that was not the culprit, despite the green screen only ever occurring when using Sab.

Realised I had been prompted to update Drivepool... Have downgraded back to non beta version of Drivepool and now all is fine again.

There's a serious issue with the latest beta...

I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit which has been remarkably stable for more than 4 years. I added a new HGST 8tb He drive to replace an HGST 5 tb drive that was making loud noises. I installed DrivePool (I believe the 561 version) at that time (about six months ago). All was quite well until DrivePool app said there was a new version, downloaded it and installed. The next day the computer blue screened with Page Fault in non paged area 0x000000050 error. I rebooted and watched for several days, and found that each time an application tried to access the drivepool using its assigned letter (q:), the blue screen results. It does not happen if I access the same directories using the real disk's letter (k:). This is the only physical drive n the pool at the moment.

If I recall, Drivepool itself installed version.850 when it found the newer version. As part of my own attempt to fix this I installed the .852 version to see if the problem was fixed. It is not.

I have memtested the machine, and double-checked all SATA connections, and believe the bluescreen originates from the newer versions of DrivePool. Please help and let me know what other information you need from me. Thanks!

Yeah, that's a driver/memory management issue, IIRC.

If you could, all you need to do is get us the crash dump from when this happens:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Crashes

Make sure you compress the folder before uploading it (right click, send to -> compressed folder), as this saves a lot of space, which means the upload won't take as long. 

Oh, and in case it helps, the crash was reporting an NTFS.SYS problem.

Strangely, if one item was added to Sab, then all was fine - add a load of items to the queue and it would green screen Windows and orphan the queue.

Yikes, weird.  

Though... I have a temp disk for downloads, which are then imported to the pool. There are a few reasons for doing this, but the main one is that moving files from one location on the pool to another can cause weird permission issues.  This is an issue for Windows Home Server and Windows Server Essentials. 

Well, we've had a lot of changes in the new version, so that doesn't really surprise me.

But if you can get the memory dumps, it will help us to identify the cause and hopefully fix it.

And while downgrading fixes the issue .... remember that we'll eventually push out the new version.  So, we would rather fix the issue, than have you roll back.

That said, if it crashed, the memory dump will be there regardless. So please, PLEASE do grab it and upload it. 

.... that's really odd.  Typed on edge, no issues.  Maybe it's a keyboard layout issue? 

And yeah, it's possible. That or sometimes, dumps are not written out. 

Make sure that your settings are configured to properly write out the dump:

http://wiki.covecube.com/System_Crashes

Also, check c:\Windows\Minidump, to see if there are any files there.