My Storage Server

JazzMan

Question

This is the machine I use Stablebit DrivePool on.  It is not strictly a "server" as it gets used for workstation tasks as well and thus has a desktop, not server, OS.

Case: 45Drives Storinator Q30
CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275v2
MoBo: SuperMicro X95CM
RAM: 2x8GB ECC
GFX: NVidia GeForce GT 710
PSU: Corsair HX750i
OS Drive: SanDisk X300 128GB SSD
Storage Pools:
  142 TB:
    10x 4TB (WD40EZRX)
    14x 6TB (WD60EZRX)

4x 8TB (WD80EFZX)

~ About 3.5 million files (7 million with x2 duplication)

18.2 TB:

2x 10TB (ST10000VN0004)

~ About 155,500 files (311,000 with x2 duplication)

* Pool sizes as reported by DP.

Drive sizes as marketed.
    Both pools configured with x2 full pool duplication.

Misc Storage: 750 GB (WD7500BPVT)

HDD Controller card: HighPoint Rocket 750

post-174-0-15759400-1505948266_thumb.jpg

6 answers to this question

Read and write speeds probably aren't that great, especially from the HighPoint card, but luckily most of the time I don't need them to be.

In a quick unscientific test right now copying a 9GB file between two drives (mount points outside the pool) averaged 130MB/s.  Copying that file into the pool (eg, from one of the 10TB drives into the 142 TB pool) averaged about 90 MB/s.  I've seen some tasks run a lot slower though, like 30MB/s.

I'm not sure what my expectations should be in this area and haven't been geeky enough to learn to benchmark and twiddle, but it certainly isn't performing at 600MB/s headline speed of the 6Gbps SATA.

Perhaps I'll look into that sometime, as I would like the task that measures the pool organization of the large pool to run more quickly, as it takes a half a day or something and leaves the system very sluggish while it is happening.

Well, most hard drives won't hit more than 200MB/s, for sequential loads.  And usually, you're lucky to see 150MB/s.

Also, the max speed for gigabit networks is 125MB/s, not accounting for overhead. 

So, the speeds you're seeing are pretty normal, and on the better side of good. 

As for optimizing performance, for the network adapters, try turning off all settings that include "checksum" or "offload" in the title. Turn off jumbo frames, and any "power saving" or "green" features. 

Also, look into "network autotuning", as this can adversely affect performance.

Where did you get that case cause 45 drives doesn't seem to have it on sale by itself.

I bought the Q30 including the mobo, raid card and power supply from them.  They list a few sample configurations on their site, and have a configurator for more choices, but when I dealt with them they were super flexible in working with each clients' specific needs.  The configurator can be a starting point but then you can order off the menu.  In my use case I wanted a different CPU than what they had on the configuraator; they could not source the specific one I asked for but understood my requirements and suggested an appropriate alternative they could source.

You can check out these articles if you are not familiar with storage pods;

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/178757-how-to-build-your-own-180tb-raid6-storage-array-for-9305

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-source-data-storage-server/

or search the web for something like "backblaze storage pod" and maybe add "open source" if you really are interested in just acquiring a case from a metal shop and not all the internals.

For some history as I understand it;

45Drives was an early supplier to BackBlaze but is no longer.  I think BackBlaze is up to version 6 or higher of the pod.  Around version 4 or so, BackBlaze switched to BackupPods.com and possibly others as suppliers of the pods.  However the pod designs are open source and can be bought and put together from a parts list if one desires.

I needed something that arrived working and was not a server build learning experience, so I bought a system assembled and tested sans drives.  I then just dropped my drives in, installed Win 7 and DP and was basically ready to go.  Most drives were moved from some other computers, one of which had been running DP, and I added a few blank drives, so I did have to move some files around to get them into the new pool and duplicated properly. 

http://www.45drives.com/

https://www.backuppods.com/

http://protocase.com/products/electronic-enclosures/45drives-storage-pods.php

My perhaps faulty recollection was that 45Drives wouldn't necessarily sell you all the nuts and bolts and individual parts one by one like at Radio Shack of old but would be very flexible in putting together (or leaving out) the major electronic components that go into a server to a clients' needs, and that BackupBods was the opposite on either ends of that;.they would either sell you a completely built working machine with all the drives and little customization, or they would sell you all the nuts and bolts and individual parts a la carte to assemble yourself.

I'd contact both companies and explain what you are looking for. (metal case, metal case with backplanes, etc.)  Protocase is the metal fab shop for 45Drives, so if you really are just interested in the chassis and not the backplanes, etc, you could contact them.

This info may have changed in the past 1.5 years.

Cheers,

David