Noob TL;DR Questions

JazzMan

Question

Win7 sp1 x64.

Downloaded, purchased, and installed CloudDrive 1.0.2.929 β x64.  Rebooted although it did not prompt me.

In the UI I connected to Google Drive.  That seemed to work, The status at the bottom is "OK".  There is an empty folder in 'My Drive' called 'Stablebit Drivepool'.

Now I'm stuck though.  What am I supposed to do next?

If I click "Create" next to the account under Google Drive, the UI just disappears.  I'm not sure if it is crashing.  I guess it is as the UI process disappears from task manager Processes tab.

If I try to Connect a new Local Disk;

- the Drive combo box is empty

- If I click the ellipses button and select a (empty) folder on either my C: or D: drive I get "Data for a cloud drive cannot be stored at this location".

This is a laptop with two SSDs, See Disk Management screenshot attached.

- One SSD is in the built-in bay, the other is in a caddy in the DVD bay.

- They are created as Dymanic disks and the D: drive letter/partition is a spanned volume across the two SSDs.

I will try other providers but so far I'm batting 0 for 2.

Please advise for each of these what I am doing wrong or info you need to troubleshoot.

Thanks,

David

post-174-0-28290600-1505774314_thumb.png

6 answers to this question

Well, the picture is the dead give-away here. 

Unfortunately, we don't support dynamic disks, at all.  So, if you don't have a basic (non-dynamic) disk to use for the cache, then it may cause issues. 

If the UI is disappearing, then yeah, it's crashing.  In that case, could you run the StableBit Troubleshooter and select the "Submit a user interface crash (manual)" option: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

For the other problem, there isn't anything that  Ican do other than recommend converting the disks back to basic... which is not a simple task (reinstallation is going to be the easiest way, unfortunately) .

I installed the 32-bit beta in a Win 7 VM and gave it a test drive there so have a bit better idea how it is supposed to work now..

After some light testing I converted the boot disk of the VM to Dynamic and rebooted the VM.

CloudDrive broke as you said.

I don't really see why Basic or Dynamic host disks would make a difference.

However, this spanned volume was a quick fix for running out of space probably before I had DrivePool.  I'll work on redoing that.

Thanks,

David

Dynamic disks are fragile.   Not just the spanned and similar ones (which will fail if even a single drive in the array has issues), but in general... dynamic disks suffer from odd issues, especially when moving to other systems.  A big part of that is how the partition information is stored (it doesn't actually use MBR, or GPT, but a custom partitioning, IIRC).

And traditionally, we haven't supported them in StableBit DrivePool or StableBit Scanner (for DrivePool: because it's essentially impossible to ensure that duplicates end up on different physical disks, and for Scanner: the surface scan .... file recovery isn't supported due to the complexity of parsing the disk info).

And in general, you shouldn't use dynamic disks.  If you have to recover the system, you're going to find out quickly why we recommend against them... unfortunately. 

And yeah, I'd highly recommend getting off of the dynamic disks, as soon as possible. 

Yeah, I know the risks you outlined with dynamic disks, but my backup software does support them and I have tested restoring the system from the backup.

If your products don't support dynamic disks, I'd suggest testing for that and throwing a message, rather than just crashing.  I did run the troubleshooter and submitted the diagnostics,.

Cheers.

If your products don't support dynamic disks, I'd suggest testing for that and throwing a message, rather than just crashing.  I did run the troubleshooter and submitted the diagnostics,.

Agreed, which is why I wanted you to run the StableBit Troubleshooter.  It will collect the logs, so we can see why and where it creashed, so we can make sure it doesn't happen in the future. 

And I've flagged the files, so we can take a look at the issue.