Bad sectors in the exact same spot on two disks?

hypermog

Question

I just bought two identical 8TB WD Reds, and ran StableBit Scanner on them.  I'm using StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3103_BETA.exe on Windows 10.

It says that both disks are damaged and it appears to be the same sector on each.  Is this possible?  Am I reading this right?  For what it's worth, I'm also running DrivePool.

(screenshot.png)

P.S. the FireFox security warning for this website is kind of bothersome, please take a look at that (insecure.png).

post-8343-0-46467800-1505586407_thumb.png

post-8343-0-78463900-1505586461_thumb.png

10 answers to this question

Hi Christopher, thank you for the fast reply.

I went ahead and ran the burst test for 24 hours, came back successful.  I'm going to let it finish scanning the drives, then mark unreadable blocks as unchecked and scan again.  Do you think that's a good idea?  Also, is it possible to have it just rescan the unreadable blocks?

post-8343-0-35587700-1505693937_thumb.png

Okay, thank you for doing that.

And yes, I definitely feel that this is a good idea, as ... it's generally what I suggest in this case, actually.  If it continues to come back with read errors, then there is definitely a problem.

If not, then it may have been an issue with the disk idling, and it not waking up in time for the scan.  Potentially. 

I don't understand why the scan doesn't start when I press Start check.  Is that a known issue?  No matter how much I press it, even with the drive selected, it won't start scanning.  Nothing happens actually.  Pretty disappointing for a program called Scanner.

edit: I left it and came back an hour later and the start check button worked this time (...but had not started already, i.e. it was not a delayed start from earlier).  There should be some kind of message or indication letting you know what's holding it up.  Anyways, full scan continues.

Okay.

One more thing to check.  Just in case this is an issue with the identification info .... try this version:

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3128_BETA.exe

There a few changes that *may* correct this issue.   Install this version, and rescan the bad sectors.

If they go away, that's fine.  If they don't, then let me know what exact model of drive you're using here.

After I installed the new version and restarted, it forgot that it had scanned those drives before.  That's fine because I want to see how this version does with a full scan anyway.  So it's scanning the drives right now -- it'll probably take until tomorrow to finish.  Thanks for your fast replies Chris.

The model number is Western Digital WDBCKA0080HBK-NA.  These are external drives... someone on reddit opened one, here's the best picture they had showing what's in it: https://i.imgur.com/TzmZUfX.jpg.  Looks like WD80EFZX

Aaah, yeah, USB drives.  

Yeah, something about the newer USB protocols seems to cause weird scan issues.  Namely, the mis-identified disk "geometry" (info). 

And if it did forget the scan history, then yes, this is exactly the issue I think it is (the mis-identified disk info). 

With this beta, you will likely see it scan the drive properly (no bad sectors) and work properly.