Assign HDD to 3rd time Folder Duplication only?

northface

Question

Hey guys.

Maybe confusing title. But what I want is easy to understand with example:

1. OS: Windows 8.1

2. Software: Most recent stablebit DrivePool

3. HDDs: 2x 2TB + 1x 500gb

Setup: I have a pool consisting of 2x2 TB at the moment(FIY: before they entered the pool, i activated Bitlocker on both of them and then altered the DrivePool config to deal with bitlocker). Real time duplication is active, so basically a nice mirror.

What I Want: I want to activate Folder Duplication (3x) for important folders. I want to use the 500gb Drive (it is not added yet)for that. Is it possible that only the files for Folder Duplication (3x) is stored to the new 500gb drive and nothing else? I want to leave the  "mirror" intact and only use the 500gb for the 3rd mirror for certain folders.

Is that possible?Thanks in advance

3 answers to this question

So you want to use the 500GB drive ONLY for duplication, correct? 

If so, then yes, you ABSOLUTELY can do that. If you check out the Balancer settings, there is a "File placement limiter" balancer. That has two checkboxes for each disk. "Duplicated" and "Unduplicated".  Just uncheck the "Unduplicated" box for the 500GB drive, and then it will only put duplicated files on that drive.

However, if you want to do this for certain folders only. Then no, there isn't a way to do that yet. 

However, Alex (the developer) has already considered this option, and it's on his todo list.

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/208-stablebit-drivepool-controlling-folder-placement/

But he's currently very busy adding support for "Reparse" points, which should give the pool a lot more flexibility.

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/279-stablebit-drivepool-reparse-points/

If neither of these are what you mean, please let us know.

Regards

Dear drashna,

thank you for replying so fast.

I want to use it for certain folders only. So I will wait for this feature to arrive. Till then I might use Windows Backup to secure important Folders of the stablebit pool.

I havent been using DrivePool for a long time now. But it's working superbly. Unlike Windows 8 Storage Spaces which almost killed my entire data! So keep it up!

Well, I try to get to any inquiries or posts within a day. :)

And hopefully, we should be able to get to the folder placement balancing option soon.

And I'm glad to hear that you really like our solution. But I am sorry to hear that you've lost (or almost lost) data to Storage Spaces. :(