Removable Pool

amanteka

Question

hi! i have a Sans Digital TR8U+ JBOD tower with 5 3TB HDDs USB3.0, it's posible that i can mount a pool with stablebit drivepool with those drives? what about if i like to turn off the JBOD tower when i don't need to use any of the files in that pool, do i have to do any steps or is that posible? the pc with stablebit pooldrive will remain on after turning off the JBOD tower. thanks!

9 answers to this question

Amanteka,

You can absolutely use that enclosure with DrivePool. Since it passes on the disks normally, it should have no issues.

Though for turning it off, that may be a bit more complicated.  Worst case, since DrivePool supports multiple pools, you could create a separate pool for the drives in that enclosure. That way, when you turn it off, it doesn't set the "main pool" (i'm assuming you have a set of drives in the computer that needs to be always accessible, or at least just left on) into an offline mode with the disks are disconnected/turned off.

And in this case, if it has the option, you would use the "safely remove" option for the enclosure.

Also, there is an alternative. StableBit Scanner can help put your disks into a low power state. 

thanks for your reply! i already have a main pool in the pc running 24/7 with stablebit pooldrive with the files i use daily, the enclosure is just to save a copy of those files and sync them once a week, then turn off the enclosure to save energy. i will try your suggestions. thanks!

thanks! loving the software everyday more! i'll be working with this in the weekend. it's necessary to assign a letter to the drives in windows' disk management for drivepool  to recognize them? any chance that in the future the pool disk info will be something like the photo below? like the color bars and info about each disk. thanks for all your help & support!

2csfnlx.jpg

No, you don't need a drive letter for DrivePool to recognize the drive. DrivePool supports drive letters, drives mounted to folders, or not mounted at all. So you can use the drive however you want.

Personally, I'd recommend mounting them to a drive letter (http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4822624)

As for disk information, have you tried StableBit Scanner? There are a bunch of additional columns you can enable, to get more information about the disks. 

StableBit Scanner.png

worked perfectly with my TR8U+! i just ordered another one. i tried to install stablebit scanner two times, but never got to install correctly, only appears a white window with a not responding message using windows 7-64. also, is there is any way for the stablebit drive pool window to stay on the screen where i left it? every time i close the window by the X, when i open it again part of the window is outside of my 27" 1920x1080 monitor. thanks!

for the stablebit pool drive my solution was to open and close the program numerous times, moving the window around and adjusting the size until it stocked to one size that keeps it inside the screen. for the stablebit scanner is a no go, never installed correctly the 4 times i tried, the program hangs on starting service for hours and the pc became unstable, i can't even open the task manager or the control panel and the only way to uninstall the program is from the pc safe mode option and use system restore to prior the installation of the scanner

Both of those issues are very odd. 

As for Scanner, that is definitely a serious issue!

Do you have any controller cards installed? And if so, which? And do you have "UnsafeDirectIo" enabled? (if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you definitely don't)

And I hate to ask, but if you wouldn't mind reinstalling it and getting a forced crash dump?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Freeze

If you don't, I completely understand. But we would like to see what is going on, and fix it if we can.

Though, setting the "StableBit Scanner" service to "Disabled" via "Services.msc" while in safe mode *should* fix the lag/hang issue as well. (but disable Scanner)