CloudDrive transfers excessive data

___

Question

I have been working hard at evaluating the CloudDrive product.  Generally things are working well.  I have noticed a problem with my 10GB google drive.  The drive contains approx. 250 MB of data.  I have monitored the amount of traffic that CloudDrive generates for this drive.  It often uses more than 500 MB of transfer traffic to sync this drive -- even though only a few files (totaling less than 3 MB in size) have been changed.  In just a couple of weeks I have used over 50GB of data with CloudDrive (this makes my provider frown).  That 50 GB is all related to 250MB of mostly static data comprised of mostly small text based files.  No video files are involved here. 

Is there a trace or other setting that will allow me to see what files CloudDrive thinks need syncing that causes it to use this excessive amount of traffic?

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Well,

First, make sure that shadow copies/previous versions are disabled on the CloudDrive disk.

This feature is mostly invisible to you, but takes a snapshot of the disk, twice daily (by default), and changes the content of the actual disk, by doing so (it stores the snapshots on the drive).

This may be causing the usage that you're seeing.

Additionally, the technical details window can/will show you what's happening at any given time.

http://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=Technical%20Details

And additionally, you can set the disk to "read only mode" so that it cannot be written to. You'd only be able to read data from it.

I checked the system protection (shadow copy) option for the CloudDrive.  It was already off.  I am guessing that Windows by default sets this feature off for portable or virtual drives.  I don't think this is the issue I am seeing because shadow copy would create the snapshot only at certain time intervals (or other somewhat predictable system event) .  The excess activity I see occurs regularly during normal use of the CloudDrive.

I have done quite a bit of analysis and the problem seems to be related to the prefetch and pinning options.  I can get the efficient CloudDrive behavior I expect by turning off prefetch and pinning of directories and metadata.   There are other factors that seem to be involved here as well, including the drive sector size and storage chunk size.  I will try to provide more feedback as my analysis continues.  

The technical details window is not really that helpful.  It shows the activity of commands and chunk ids, etc. but nothing that I can see equates this detail to the actual files or folder activity that caused the CloudDrive activity.  I was hoping there was a way I could see such activity so I could determine what processes on my side are responsible for causing CloudDrive activity.  A log that shows detail activity in a format readable by the user would be helpful.

Making the drive "read only" isn't a good option.  I have already accomplished a similar scenario by changing  the "Upload Threshold" for the drive to 10MB and the minutes to a high value (in my testing 600 minutes).  This seems to keep the CloudDrive calmed down at least until the threshold has been reached.  It would be helpful if the max bytes for the threshold could be set higher than 10MB.  I will submit this with additional reasoning via the Stablebit contact system.

Thanks.

I have same kind problem, last two months maybe now.

Cloudrive itself is 100tb. It constantly pinning(that yello bar down) and every once in a while starts prefetching  If i don't cancel pinning then it does not stop before cache drive get's full. 250gb.

If that's the case, could you get both drive tracing and web logging when this happens?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Drive_Tracing

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Web_Logs

Also, try increasing the Prefetch Trigger and decreasing the prefetch window.  This should make it less likely to prefetch data, and may help prevent this issue.