Disk Reporting Incorrect Size After Replace/Balance

JazzMan

Question

Hi,

DP 2.2.0.651

Win 7 SP1 x64

Scenario;

I have a pool with two 4TB drives and 2x duplication.  The drives were nearly full (~213GB free on each) so I was going to replace both with larger 10TB drives.  I shut down the computer, removed one of the drives and replaced it with an empty unformatted 10TB drive.  I turned the computer back on and created and formatted a partition.  I removed the missing drive from the pool in DP and added the new empty drive.  DP started balancing.  At the end of the process a half day or so later, the 10TB drive is reporting as expected in DP, but the 4TB drive I did not remove and the one being balanced from is now reporting 6.86 TB of Duplicated files and 213GB free.  There is something in parens after the duplicated space amount but it is clipped by the window boundaries.

If I mount both drives and look at them natively The total number of bytes, files, and folders match, so I believe all is ok "under the covers", but for some reason DP is reporting double the amount of duplicated space for the 4TB drive  an amount larger than the actual physical drive).

I tried rebooting but that did not correct the problem.

Screen shots attached.

I did not have an extra free internal drive bay to have both the old and new drive online at the same time.  I didn't want to do this externally over USB or eSATA.

As the first 10TB drive seems to have received a good copy, and as I will save the 4TB drives for a while as backup, I am going to go ahead and replace the other 4TB drive with a 10TB and have the files balanced back in the opposite direction.  Just wanted to report this as I couldn't see something like it in a quick forum search.  It might all be explained by the part of the message cut off in parens.

Thanks,

David

post-174-0-26425200-1503817779_thumb.png

post-174-0-09195100-1503817808_thumb.png

post-174-0-06053500-1503817818_thumb.png

5 answers to this question

FWIW, an equivalent thing happened when replacing the second drive in the pool.  For this one I took the disk Offline. removed it from the pool, hot swapped it, and formatted and added the new drive to the pool.  After balancing it also showed double the actual Duplicated space.  The weird part is the error is on the drive being copied from, not the empty one being copied to.

I remembered;

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q7200705

and did that this time and it did correct the disk info in the UI, however it would be nice to not have this defect/feature as another pool that I have is quite large and takes a long time to measure.

Thanks,

David

Yes, this is a known issue with the public beta build, actually.

The issue was actually caused by a code change to hopefully be *more* accurate, but ... well, as you can see.

Please install this version: 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.823_x64_BETA.exe

Or roll back to the stable public release version (2.1.1.561)