Beta 822 - The background service failed to start

TechieGuy

Question

Hi,

I have installed the 822 beta version, however, after restarting my machine DrivePool displays the following:

The background server failed to start, try to restart the computer.

I have restarted twice with no success.  The EventLog displays the following error:

Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializationException: Error getting value from 'PoolUserPath' on 'DrivePoolComm.Info.DrivePoolInfo'. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at (Object , String )
   at CoveNative.Extensions.StringExtensions.MakeUserPathFromKernelPath(String pathFullName)
   at DrivePoolComm.Info.DrivePoolInfo.get_PoolUserPath()
   at GetPoolUserPath(Object )
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.DynamicValueProvider.GetValue(Object target)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.DynamicValueProvider.GetValue(Object target)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.CalculatePropertyValues(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonContainerContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonProperty property, JsonContract& memberContract, Object& memberValue)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeObject(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract collectionContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.SerializeObject(JsonWriter writer, Object value, JsonObjectContract contract, JsonProperty member, JsonContainerContract collectionContract, JsonProperty containerProperty)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.Serialization.JsonSerializerInternalWriter.Serialize(JsonWriter jsonWriter, Object value, Type objectType)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonSerializer.SerializeInternal(JsonWriter jsonWriter, Object value, Type objectType)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.SerializeObjectInternal(Object value, Type type, JsonSerializer jsonSerializer)
   at Newtonsoft.Json.JsonConvert.SerializeObject(Object value, Formatting formatting, JsonSerializerSettings settings)
   at DrivePoolService.JsonNodeStore.#DUf(Guid , PersistentNode )
   at CoveUtil.OmniStore.Store.()
   at CoveUtil.OmniStore.Store.Create(Boolean IsWritable, Boolean IsTrackingChanges, DirectoryInfo ThePersistentStoreLocation, Boolean TheWeakBinding, CustomSerializer TheCustomSerializer, Boolean UseReaderWriterLock, Boolean DeleteDamagedPersistentFiles, INodeStore NodeStore)
   at DrivePoolService.Main.<>c.#Rch()
   at CoveUtil.ReportingAction.Run(Action TheDangerousAction, Func`2 ErrorReportExceptionFilter)

5 answers to this question

The 822 build is an interim build and may have issues.  Meaning that you shouldn't use it. 

Try upgrading the 823 build, and see if this fixes the issue.

If it doesn't, then please run the StableBit Troubleshooter (use 3087 as the contact ID):

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

After doing that, try resetting the settings.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

Thanks, Drashna.  I downloaded 823 build and still had the error. Resetting the settings worked and so far no issues.

I don't mind trying out the interim builds from time to time as my pools aren't heavily used, so I can afford to revert back to a previous, more stable version if needed.

I had the same problem when I directly updated from stable to latest beta. After upgrading from 770 to 786 to 798 to 810 to 823 it worked fine. Maybe there is a setting missing in the JSON file which gets created on versions before. I randomly choosed the versions and it may be not needed to install all of this.