Lose File Placement settings when replacing a drive

xilex

Question

Setup is DrivePool + SnapRAID under Server 2016.

I've been testing in preparation for actual setup. I have two drive set up in DrivePool with a File Placement setting so that data placed in a particular folder is preferentially placed on a specific drive. To simulate a lost drive, I take it offline from Disk Management first, then DrivePool says a drive is gone so I remove it there (have to do it this way so DrivePool doesn't move files around when removing a drive). Then I add a new drive and remount it to a folder in Disk Management. The new drive shows up and I added it DrivePool. Then after tidying up snapraid.conf I run snapraid fix to restore the bad drive that was removed. If I head back to DrivePool I have to set up File Placement rules again. It sounds like this is what should normally happen, but is there any reason to have some way to save or restore File Placement settings?

6 answers to this question

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using?

I know there was a bug similar to this that we fixed a while ago (but hasn't been pushed out yet).  

If you don't mind, could you try the latest beta and see if the issue has been fixed?

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.812_x64_BETA.exe

Quick update. So I removed a disk by 1) removing its disk path under Disk Management, 2) taking the drive offline, 3) putting the new drive online, mounting it to the original folder, 4) remove old drive in DrivePool, add the new drive, 5) update snapraid.conf, 6) running SnapRAID to repopulate the new drive, 7) run rebalance in DrivePool so everything shows up correctly.

I looked under Balancing again, but this time instead of losing all of the File Placement settings, it retains it but as noted before, I specified one folder in the pool to use only one drive. My setup for testing consists of two drives. Here it ends up selecting both drives to place the data on, so technically the settings are not retained.

Also, under File Placement, if I click on Rules, an error window pops up: "Can't cancel task. The given key was not present in the directory." And this error pops up again when I click back on Folders.

If the file placement rule was targeting only the removed drive, then yes, it does cause it to "disappear".  As the disk is no longer valid, and it's "identifier" removed from the pool.  

But if it was targeting one or more disks that do remain online, then it should be file (though it will remove the problem disks).

However, I do agree than the handling isn't ideal here, and that we should leave the rule present, even with no disks selected.  That would allow for it to be properly retained and reconfigured, rather than just purged.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27602