files not accessible via Pool but still there in pool-part folder(s)

p3x-749

Question

I am almost sure, I am missing something here, but since DP is working so flawlessly in general, I cannot recall if what I see is a problem from my side of the keyboard or from DP.

Did an upgrade to 2.2.0.798 BETA to solve a problem with being unable to temporarily remove a good drive from the pool, as stated elsewhere here in the forums.

After that, DP (re-)gathered all data and everything looked well.

Now, a couple of days and reboots later, I am seeing the effect, that some files are not accessible from the pool.

Explorer sees them, but opening gives an Error, that the file is not there.

I normally don't use the native drives, just the pool...after enabling the disks and accessing the pool-part folders directly, the files are there and can be accessed, as expected.

However, the problem with accessing the files via the Pool persists.

I issued the command to re-gather the pool information manually, several times to no avail.

Since when I enabled the native disks with drive letters, a large part is now shown as "other" instead of duplicated/non-duplicated...don't know if this is related though.

...what is the recommended procedure to get DP up to the correct state and functioning again?

I am on Win10-Pro 64bit BTW.

TIA,

Fred

22 answers to this question

What ever does it give exactly?

And can you access the file in the poolpart folder, or does it give the same error?

Also, have you tried running a chkdsk pass on all of the pooled drives, just in case?

And lastly, try enabling drive tracing and reproduce the issue:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Well, it did say something like "file does not exist" (sorry, not on the english version of Win10).

And yes, as already stated, the files were in the individual pool-part folder(s) and were accessible just fine...only the pool showed that issue.

OK, ...back for the weekend and brought up the box to test what you suggested....the problem has disappeared  :huh: ...don't know what to say.

However, 5.8TB of my 12TB, sitting on 3x 8GB disks, are now shown as "other" (before the "issue" there were less that 1GB show as other).

Checked the native disks, all files are in the pool-part folder(s).

...what can I do about that?

regards,

Fred

run a disk check on the affected disks (chkdsk /f), and then remeasure the pool once its done.

As for the issue .... those are LITERALLY the worst.  Consistent issues are nice, because they're easy to reproduce and address.  These sort of issues .... are very hard to troubleshoot.

I started having the same issue, I have a node process which deletes unwanted files every hour and it leaves 'phantom' files in the folder.

They've been deleted but the pool is reporting them available. When I try to open them i get file not found errors ( as expected). 

version: 2.2.0.800 

i'll run a check disk on each of the drives and check out the logging link.

update: When I re-measure the phantom files are cleaned out. 

I ran check disk on all of the drives, they all passed. 

I also checked that the files were deleted off the drives and they were. 

Do the phantom files occur over the network, or locally? 

If it's over the network, this may be caused by caching on the client side.

If this is locally... that may be more complicated, and unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce this behavior.

If you can get trace logging, it may help:

run a disk check on the affected disks (chkdsk /f), and then remeasure the pool once its done.

As for the issue .... those are LITERALLY the worst.  Consistent issues are nice, because they're easy to reproduce and address.  These sort of issues .... are very hard to troubleshoot.

...all disks passed the chkdsk process without problems...remeasure of the pool did not change a thing, same result....5.8TB still reported as "other".

Edit1: ...moved to 2.2.0.802_BETA (64Bit)...after remeasure now 8.9TB are reported as "other"  :blink:

Is it feasible to go back a DP revision (I installed .798beta because this fixed a problem with removing a good disk).

EDIT2: maybe this part of the problem is related to what is being discussed here: http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/3044-other-data-but-shouldnt-be/&do=findComment&comment=21175 ??

Enable logging, and remeasure. 

Disable logging as soon as it hits the "other" data on the drive.

Also, you may want to download a utility such as "WinDirStat" and run it on the drive in question.

Make sure that everything is in the hidden "PoolPart" folder.

Check the recycle bin.  Empty/restore files from there, if needed.   Check the previous versions/shadow copies on the drive.

Also, are you using deduplication? 

As for the other thread, no, I don't think that this is the same thing, at all.

Thank Christopher for your reply and your support.

I did run WinDirStat (as Admin) on the pooled disks -> http://imgur.com/a/rI0oH

There is nothing in the individual recycle bin(s) and +95% of all data on the disks is media data....at least, that is what I see.

The disks are disabled from holding restore-points (if that is what you were referring to as versions/shadow copies ?!?) as well.

I am also not using deduplication willingly (don't know how to configure it...running Win10-Pro which is a desktop OS...does it have that feature at all?)

As for your request for the logs...what do you mean by "Disable logging as soon as it hits the "other" data on the drive" ??

When I start re-measuring, DP seems to start with only one disk (showing progress in the UI "bars") but at first, there everything is of type "other" on all disks...that's the situation where DP seems to start it re-measurement from

Can you elaborate on how to do what you suggested, as this confuses me...don't want to bother your time with sending unnecessarily log-files along, please?

TIA,

Fred

it's hard to tell the order from the images.

Did it come back with less measured data, or did it come back with more?

ANd yeah, it does look like the measuring is off.

Another question, if you right click on the PoolPart folder, and select properties ... and then let it sit for a while, what does it report as the "size" and the "size on disk", as?

As for the deduplication, if you're using Windows 10, then you're not using it.  It's a feature for the server side (though there is a hack to enable it, which I don't recommend).

As for the "disable logging", I mean the same way it's enabled.  This stops it from logging additional stuff, which means that there is less for us to go through.

Basically, enable logging, remeasure the pool, once it's finished measuring one of the disks, then disable logging (uncheck "enable file system logging").

Thanks for your reply, Christopher and for your patience in looking into this.

I really appreciate it.

Ah, yes...here's a brief summary of the history of things:

- pool running on 2.2.0.691beta with 3x 8TB disks and 1x 2TB disk as "SSD".

- the "other" data reported on the pool was approx 400MB, which I didn't care about

- However the balance between disk usage was very uneven, so I decided to remove the SDD and deploy the "Disk Space Equalizer" plugin on the pool.

- had problem removing the SSD disk, so upgraded to 2.2.0.798

- removing SSD disk and re-balancing the disk usage went fine with that version, however this was when both problems, mentioned in this thread started to appear and being persistent over several reboots and pool re-measurement runs.

- the problem with files shown in the explorer view of the pool but reporting as non-existent when accessing them suddenly disappeared.

- the problem with too much data of type "other" remained....reporting approx 5.7TB at that time with version .798beta

- assuming that a newer beta would be able to gather better log-information, I upgraded to .802beta

- the other data reported, simply grew to 8.36TB with that version....staying there for several reboots and several re-measuring attempts.

- this is the state where I ran WinDirStat and took the screenshot, reporting 8.36TB of data

- from the other thread, reporting a similar issue, I ran the command "dpcmd remeasure-pool <DP drive letter> with elevated rights, as suggested there from @jsta

- after that, the pool reported 2.64TB of other data and I added a screenshot of that to the same photo gallery, too

OK,...I'll gather the logs now and upload them!

EDIT: ...done!...disable logging when the first disk has finished wasn't so easy, so I had to re-measure twice...hope this is not an issue.

FWIW: After the first run, the result of "other" data dropped to 1.7TB and stayed there for the second run.

regards,

Fred

Thank you for the summary, that really does help me.

I've flagged the logs (and issue) for Alex, so he can take a look at it.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27598

In the meanwhile, could you run the StableBit Troubleshooter on the system, as well?

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter

Use "3068" or the above ticket number (27598) as the ID for the Troubleshooter, and please make sure that the "include system info" option is checked, and that you used the "All" option for what to collect. 

Sorry about this! 

I'd forgotten about the ticket and didn't update it.

Unfortunately, the traces don't appear to be from either version listed (691 or 789), so it makes things problematic, at best. 

If you could, do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q3017479

And then install this version: 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.866_x64_BETA.exe

And could you confirm the OS version? 

And re-grab the logs? 

Thanks for your fast response.

Uhmm...this is now several weeks old, but if I read my summary above, I must have been running 802beta when collecting the logs...the issue started with an older version and I updated in order to get rid of it.

I am on an ever newer beta atm.

....anyway, I think it'll be best to re-install and re-gather the logs.

I'll report back, as soon as I prepared them.

Sorry about this! 

I'd forgotten about the ticket and didn't update it.

Unfortunately, the traces don't appear to be from either version listed (691 or 789), so it makes things problematic, at best. 

If you could, do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q3017479

And then install this version: 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.866_x64_BETA.exe

And could you confirm the OS version? 

And re-grab the logs? 

Errrmmmh...I followed your procedures and after the install of the newest beta DP instantly started to re-measure (so no chance for activating logs).

Is it supposed to do that, as I thought I purged everything from the DP software on my system?

Anyway...I am now down to 29GB, compared to 6.5TB (on 829beta).  :D

Looks like your install procedure is having some unwanted shortcuts and leaves remains of the old version?

Thanks for your support...I'll consider that "fixed" or cured  :rolleyes:

regards,

Fred

If you reset the settings or removed everything, then yes, it will absolutely remeasure the pool. 

And if you were using an older version, it may remeasure ANYWAYS. We significantly changed/overhauled the measuring code. Because of this, info from older versions may not be valid anymore and would trigger a remeasure anyways. 

And I'm glad to hear that the new version does seem to be measuring properly.  And 29GB of "other" is a much more normal value.

Looks like your install procedure is having some unwanted shortcuts and leaves remains of the old version?

I may be just tired, but I'm not sure what you mean here.

But the guide posted is to completely remove the software. It goes over how to remove everything (short of shortcuts).  It's there, because every once in awhile, we do see problems with the uninstallation process. Or in a few cases, a botched upgrade that left it on a "bad" state (mismatched files) 

I may be just tired, but I'm not sure what you mean here.

But the guide posted is to completely remove the software. It goes over how to remove everything (short of shortcuts).  It's there, because every once in awhile, we do see problems with the uninstallation process. Or in a few cases, a botched upgrade that left it on a "bad" state (mismatched files) 

Well, my assumption was, that after a complete remove, why does DP automatically start a remeasure.....only if there are some remains (the remove was not complete, hence).

The fact that there are pool-part folders on some drives ?....I think this is not enough info to justify a remeasure (importing the drives into the pool before that, also silently), isn't it?

After a fresh install, I think the user should decide what drives to import, shouldn't he/she?

regards,

Fred

After a complete removal, or even resetting the settings, a remeasure will occur.  That is because the measurement data is stored in the settings store, and not on the pool.  So without the data, it would need to remeasure the pool. 

After that data is gathered, we do update the information based on activity that occurs on the pool. 

Otherwise, there isn't really a way to get this data. It has to be gathered and stored somehow. 

I understand that for DP to work properly with the pool, it needs to gather the data, i.e. by means of a remeasure.

What I don't understand is, that it started to do this, after a fresh install by its own.

I remember when re-installing windows or moving the disks (and the licence afterwards) to a new machine, when I installed DP, it did not remeasure automatically.although the disks were present upon install.

Hence my conclusion that the other method was not a clean/fresh install.