Quick Question: Clone cache drive possible?

jeraziah

Question

Is it possible to clone the cache drive? I made a horrible mistake and would like to move the cache drive to another disk.

I have 300+GB left to upload on a 2TB Seagate FireCuda disk. The drive performs so bad that nothing else is possible while clouddrive is using it.

Can I clone the drive/partition on to a 500GB SSD or will this cause problems?

9 answers to this question

What do you mean by uninstalling the software? The reason why I want to clone it is because of the 300GB left to upload.

My plan was to shutdown the system, remove the 2TB cache disk, clone it on the SSD, install the SSD in the system and power it back up.

If there was nothing left to upload, I would detach the cloud drive, swap the HDD with the SSD and attach it again.

That would work too.  

Also, so would shutting down the service. 

The reason I mentioned uninstalling, was that the disk needs to not be "in use" when the cloning happens, or ... it won't happen (or at least not properly).   If you're doing this "offline", which it sounds like you're doing, then you should be fine with what you have planned.

You may need to reauthorize the drive, but that should be it, I believe. 

It worked without a problem. I used Macrium Reflect Free to the clone the disk.

Before I cloned it I shrunk the partition of the 2TB drive to ~700GB, cloned it onto the SSD and expanded the partition. Cloud Drive worked immediately with the new drive.

looks like this SSHD is not compatible with CloudDrive and DrivePool:

Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5 inch (ST2000LX001)

I got 5 of them and the plan was to use one as cache disk for clouddrive and 4 with DrivePool for userdata. The perfomance with CloudDrive was so bad that (1-6MB/sec) I replaced it now with the 1TB SSD.

Today I've setup the DrivePool with 4 of them but almost the same experience... 11MB/sec max transferspeed with 2x duplication. If I attach one of them with a USB3 (UASP) case I get 90-110MB/sec. Guess i'll return them all.

Well, with StableBit CloudDrive, I can understand that. The caching we do may cause issues with their internal caching algorithms.

But for DrivePool to have performance issues with them is very odd.

Before returning them, I'd like to see if we can troubleshoot a bit first.  That way, you don't have to go through the trouble of returning the drives.

Specifically, try installing this version:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.798_x64_BETA.exe

There are a whole bunch of bug fixes and performance tweaks that may solve the problem outright (with the pool at least).

If that doesn't help, enable file system logging, and reproduce the issue. Upload the logs once you've done that.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Also, run this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_Troubleshooter