Can't create junction on the pool anymore

aDamDo

Question

Hi there,

I've been using Drive Pool on WHS2011 for a few years now and a few junctions between folders on the same pool. I've noticed that one of the junctions has disappeared and I cannot re-create it anymore. Other junctions are still there and working ok as expected. When trying to create new junction I'm getting an error message that an NTFS drive is required for this operation.

Anybody has faced similar problem before? How can I fix it? Is there a way to break the pool and recreate it? Maybe this would fix the problem?

Thanks,

Adam

7 answers to this question

Thanks, I've already installed it and indeed the problem is gone. It still behaves a bit strange i.e. opening junctions in Explorer works ok but some applications e.g. Total Commander are not able to open them. This worked ok before. I've tried both junctions and symbolic links. Any hints here? I'm using it to have some of my server folders synchronized with OneDrive and OneDrive is not reliable with this setup. Sometimes some files or folders are not synchronized.

Honestly, I'm not really sure.   There may have been Windows update that changed how the junctions/symblinks and other work.  

Either way, the newer version significantly improves the handling of these file system objects, which is why I recommended it. 

As for OneDrive, yeah, it's doing some weird things, IIRC.

After short research on Microsoft forums I have only bad news. Symbolic links are not supported anymore by OneDrive, junctions still seem to work but as I've observed on my example not really reliably. So had to search for alternative and I've figured out that I can do the junctions in the oposite direction. I mean that main folders are in the OneDrive folder (therefore synchronizing properly) and I've created junctions on the ServerFolders. And so far this works! So junctions seem to work well on DrivePool and standard windows features work well with those junctions as well. Including being WHS2011 server folders, sharing them on network etc. Waiting now for nightly backup to pick up the content.

Well, to be honest, you shouldn't use Symlinks anyways.  They don't work the way that you'd think they should.  And they may cause issues with accessing them over the network.   

Junctions are MUCH better to use.  

This is probably why Microsoft changed this. 

In fact, they're partially disabled by default to prevent security issues .... they're ... that bad.  You can read about this here:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1950691-are-symlinks-dangerous-windows