Issues removing a drive

ncage

Question

So the specific drive i'm trying to remove is a good drive. I've removed other drives in the process (and added them back) and i haven't had any issues. I've tried to reboot several times but that hasn't fixed my issue. Generally the 1st time i try to remove the drive i will get the error in the attachment. If i try again (until i reboot) i will get the following error "Error Removing Drive - The process cannot access the file because its being used by another process". Generally when i try to remove the drive i have chosen "Duplicate files later" option. I of course don't want to check the "Force damaged drive removal" since its not a damaged drive and i don't want to loose data. I have tried without selecting the "duplicate files later" option but it still fails.

Info:

Stablebit DrivePool version 2.1.1.561

Windows 10 Creators Update x64 Enterprise

post-1581-0-47950500-1502205761_thumb.png

3 answers to this question

Looks like the error isn't being properly handled here.

Specifically, the second message is the correct one here, and .... what is the problem:  That files are still in use on the pool.  We cannot move "open" files (at least in this version), so it errors out.

That said, please grab this version:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.798_x64_BETA.exe

There are a bunch of changes in this version that may fix a wealth of issues, but specifically, the drive removal code was rewritten, and should handle this sort of issue MUCH better.  

Install this version, reboot, and then re-attempt the removal.

If you still have issues, make sure you select the "force" options (both of them), as well.  This should help with removing the disk.

Looks like the error isn't being properly handled here.

Specifically, the second message is the correct one here, and .... what is the problem:  That files are still in use on the pool.  We cannot move "open" files (at least in this version), so it errors out.

That said, please grab this version:

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.798_x64_BETA.exe

There are a bunch of changes in this version that may fix a wealth of issues, but specifically, the drive removal code was rewritten, and should handle this sort of issue MUCH better.  

Install this version, reboot, and then re-attempt the removal.

If you still have issues, make sure you select the "force" options (both of them), as well.  This should help with removing the disk.

Thanks Drashna that worked. I finished up everything today and all is good. I do have a few followup questions though.

1. In general i'm don't mind running beta software but we are talking my precious data here :) so understandably i'm a little concerned. Can you give me a little reassurance that the beta is solid?

2. Will it be that long before the "release" version of drivepool comes out? Will i be notified (like usual) that a new version exists and asked to download?

thanks,

Brent

I'm glad to hear it!

1. Our betas are generally fairly stable.  Alex (the Developer) does some basic testing to make sure that things are working properly.

Additionally, myself and many others use the latest builds on their production systems, so any show stopping bugs generally get found VERY quickly.   And I don't link builds that I don't feel confident about their stability.   So if I'm linking it, I'm pretty sure that they're going to be very stable.

2. I wish I could say.  We do hope to have a public beta out soon, and a Stable release shortly after that.  But, it's hard to tell sometimes.  

And yes, you will be notified as long as you're running a version that isn't higher in number than the release version.  So, in this case, yes, you will get a notification about the stable release.