"Other" Data but shouldn't be

jsta

Question

I recently added/removed/replaced some of the drives in my pool with some shucked 8TB WD REDs.

Prior to this, there was only duplicated data with less than 1k of unduplicated data.

Now, though, I have 13.6GB "Other" data.

No data is written directly to a disk. They were formatted, added to the pool, and drive letter removed.

All data is configured with at least 2x, with some files at 3x duplication.

Previously, when I had 11 drives, it was reporting around 2TB "other" data and a bunch of unduplicated. I get re-running "balance" but it did not do anything and continued to report "consistency" issues.

I removed that drive, and it seemed to go back to showing all data was duplicated.

Also recently, I occasionally have issues deleting files via Plex or Windows; I get a permission denied.

Regardless, even with that error, sometimes when (attempting) to delete via Windows, despite the error, if I refresh the Explorer window the folder disappears.

Well, it disappears from Explorer, but it's not actually gone.

But then a couple/few minutes later I am able to delete it; so not an actual file permission issue.

It also seems that it's more frequently "checking" the pool.

I've been running DP for 8 months, and it seems these issues were not persistent prior to my pool getting to >40TB.

I'm running the latest GR, 2.1.1.561

Also, whether or not it's relevant, after I removed the old 2TB WD Green drives, they all had 2 PoolPart.??? folders. Though it doesn't appear that any of my current drives do (spot-checked half of them)

Just found that the Windows cmd prompt has an openfiles command to display open files.

Seems the option to maintain the object list has to be enabled first, and requires a reboot.

Once the Troubleshooter upload submission is complete, I'll reboot for the option to get fully enabled.

Next time the issue occurs, I'll query with the openfiles command to see if it will report the actual process that might be locking the file.

Or apparently resource monitor can display that info too.