Whats the procedure to migrate DrivePool from one machine to another?

cryodream

Question

I need to move my server to the another. Current one is running windows 8.1, the new one is windows 10.

What is the best way to move drive pool and all the settings (if possible) to the new machine?

The ideal situation would be to have exact same DrivePool setup on the new machine as the old one, so all the programs, that use the pool could be easily transferred by simply exporting settings, reinstalling on the new machine and importing settings...

How do I transfer the license?

The same situation for Scanner. Whats the best way to migrate to the new machine?

11 answers to this question

1. Deactivate the license on the old system
  2. move the drives over to the new system
  3. install the software
  4. activate the license

That's it.  The software will see the pooled drives and automatically recreate the pool.  Duplication information will be retained, but balancing information won't be.  

You may want to reset the permissions on the pool, but that depends on if you customized them or not.

For StableBit Scanner, just deactivate the license and activate it on the new system.

To do so:

• StableBit DrivePool 2.X/Stablebit CloudDrive: Open the UI on the system that the software is installed on, click on the "Gear" icon in the top, right corner and select the "manage license" option.
  • StableBit Scanner: Open the UI on the system that Scanner is installed on. Click on "Settings" and select "Scanner Settings". Open the "Licensing" tab, and click on the "Manage license" link.
This will open a window that shows you the Activation ID, as well as a big button to "Deactivate" the license. Once you've done this, you can activate the license on a new system.

Otherwise, activate the trial period on the new system, and contact us at https://stablebit.com/contactand let us know. 

On 7/19/2017 at 3:45 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:
  1. Deactivate the license on the old system
  2. move the drives over to the new system
  3. install the software
  4. activate the license

That's it.  The software will see the pooled drives and automatically recreate the pool.  Duplication information will be retained, but balancing information won't be.  

You may want to reset the permissions on the pool, but that depends on if you customized them or not.

Hi Christopher, is the above still true for the current DrivePool version etc?

My situation is that I am running a Win10 install (installed on a seperate SSD) on a HP N54 microserver with 4 x additional HDD as the pooled drives. I need to consolidate a couple of other machines that run at home into a single physical machine to lower power usage, so I need to create a couple of virtual machines for that.

If I simply move the SSD and the 4 x HDD to a new box with plenty of grunt, the transition of the Drive Pool is done as above?

Thanks

So if I have all of the drives of a pool from one computer to a new computer and install Drivepool on the new computer - it will create the old pool automatically?      At least that's the way I read this.     Does this work if there are already existing pools created on the new computer?    

Thank you.

On 2/6/2020 at 5:47 PM, Christopher (Drashna) said:

Yup.   And if there are existing pools, it will create another pool.  Each pool has a specific ID, so that they should only be added to the pool they belong to. 

What if you want them to be in one pool only after moving them?

//edit: Never mind! It just worked out of the blue. Such a great software, worth every penny!

Hello, 

I currently move from Windows 2011 Home Server to Windows Server 2019 Essentials (both HP N54L Microserver, the new one was my spare) and am nearly done copying the files from one to the other via network. I keep using drivepool and the target system has an evaluation running just now.  But because the drives in the new ones need to be exchanged one by the other after the transfer, I am willing to stop and switch to the 'easy' transfer you have noted above (I really should have done my homeworks before).

On both systems I set up 4 disk drives via system file path to get rid of the Volume in Explorer, so disk one is C:\volumes\drive1 and so on.

But what If I mess up the drives numbering or their moint points while transfer from one to the other case? Does drive pool identify them via their mounting points or is it able to keep the pool even with 'mixed' drive volumes?

Woo, I'm glad to hear that!

As for identification, StableBit DrivePool uses the Volume ID for the drives, as these don't ever (usually) changed.  You can see them by running "mountvol" from a command prompt.  This means that you can change the drive letters, mount them to folder paths, or even have no mount point for them, and StableBit DrivePool will have no issue with them. 

Well, mostly. In some cases, windows doesn't like to properly mount the drives if they don't have a mountpoint. But that's a simple fix: 
https://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_F3540