Boot drive and the drive pool

sprtfan

Question

I'm going to be moving from WHS 2011 to Windows Server 2012 R2 and plan on using StableBit DrivePool this time around instead of just using mirror drives like I did in WHS.  I'm just getting ready to build my server and had an odd questions.  I have a 250 GB WD Blue drive and a 2TB WD Black drive I can use for boot.  If using the 2TB for the boot drive, I'd partion it and put most of it into the drive pool.  I'm assuming that I can do this but also wanted to ask if it was even a good idea?  If it is best not to have part of the boot drive in the drive pool I'll just use the 250 GB drive.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

IMO,

It would be much better to use the 250GB drive for just the system disk.

This way you can install system roles to the drive and such, and set it to be backed up by Windows Server Backup (which can be picky about what needs to be backed up). Also, this way, if you do have to do a "bare metal restore" of the server, it's not complicated by having that data partition (because it will want to backup/restore the entire disk, not just the system partition, IIRC).

Also, this way, you minimize any "IO impact" for the pool.  There is always a lot of activity on the system disk (if only for reads). So this helps optimize performance.

sprtfan,

If it makes you feel any better, I've been running that setup since... well, WHSv1.

In the long run, it makes things a lot simplier. And when the worst does happen, it makes restoring the system a lot easier. And you don't have to worry about if you lost any data, and what you lost, etc. 

And yeah, replacing the drives with bigger ones is probably a very good idea. If only because those smaller