Drivepool Not Balancing

weezywee

Question

I'm using the .260 Beta and I don't get the option to balance my pool and it doesn't seem to auto balance. The install is default, I have 4 4TB drives in the pool but one was added yesterday and the data is not being distributed evenly across the 4 disks. 2 drives have ~2.65TB, 1 has ~1.5TB and 1 has ~3GB. When I added the third drive, I was able to make it balance after it was added to the pool.

5 answers to this question

DrivePool has a fairly complex balancing system, but by default it's set up to balance only when absolutely necessary.

In other words, only when new file creation is not possible (or obstructed).

If you really want to balance everything evenly you can install the Disk Space Equalizer plug-in from here: http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

For example, in the attached screen you can see a 5.46 TB pool which is not evenly distributed.

But this is ok since you can still copy new files to the pool. DrivePool will simply place the new files on the disk with the most free space.

Screenshot_1.png

Yeah, unfortunately this is a restriction of build 260. I'm pretty sure that we can fix this in a future build.

The file performance UI uses the PhysicalDisk performance counters to get the disk activity time, and it expects to find a drive letter in the instance name. But there's no reason why it has to look for the drive letter.