Issue with Disappearing Folders

bzowk

Question

Hey Guys - 

I've used Stablebit DrivePool and Scanner for at least a couple of years now and love it - thanks for the great work.  I do, however, have one issue that I haven't ever gotten resolved...

Issue: Disappearing / Reappearing Folders

I've had this issue for well over a year now and have been using a workaround which will no longer work due to new scripting I'm putting in soon.  I have a fairly large pool (stats below) which mostly contains media files.  The issue I'm experiencing is only in one folder / path and it happens to be one which has the most folders within its root coming out to about ~3,500.  Sometimes (cannot reproduce at will) when I or a script copies a new folder into this path, it does not appear in Windows Explorer or when I list directories within the command prompt.  I've found that if I know the name of the folder, I can change directory (cd foldername) from the command prompt and successfully enter it and list files within - but even after doing so it still doesn't appear in Explorer or a directory listing of it's root.  The folder will eventually appear as normal, but usually only after 1 sometimes 2 reboots and waiting a bit (waiting for a balance job perhaps?)

Before posting, I reviewed the logs, but they make no mention of the folder whatsoever nor any error.  Since this started, I've had my scripts put the new folders in a temporary dedicated folder while they are being accessed somewhat frequently, then have a Windows task nightly move all folders older than 7 days to the primary folder (one with the issue) as if they disappear for a while at that point, it's not as big of a deal.

I'm on the latest version of DrivePool with a pretty much default configuration except that I use the SSD plugin for new writes.  Since this has occurred, I also have performed an OS reinstall which obviously included reinstalling DrivePool then importing the pool, but found the issue remained.  Has anyone seen this behavior before and / or have suggestions?

Thanks!

Disk Pool PC Stats

- Windows 10 x64 Creator's Update

- Intel 3770k CPU OC'd to 4.0Ghz

- 32 GB RAM

- 44tb Drive Pool

- Samsung 850 Pro SSD for OS & primary apps (not in pool)

- 1tb Hybrid drive for App Caches & VMs (not in pool)

- 256gb SSD for VR Gaming Installations (not in pool)

- RocketRAID 2720 SAS Controller

- Nvidia GeForce 970 GTX

- Oculus Rift (3 sensors + 2 touch controllers)

- x3 monitors

- Huge tower with much cooling

- Many other devices & accessories

Disk Pool Stats

- StableBit DrivePool 2.2.0.651 Beta + SSD Optimizer Plugin

- 43.9TB Total / 42.9 unduplicated / 69kb duplicated / 50.7gb other

- RocketRAID 2720 SAS Controller connects 7 of the disks with remaining connected to motherboard / 6Gbps used where possible but 1-2 have 3Gbps

- 11 disks (10 Standard / 1 SSD)

- Balances immediately every 2 hours unless 25gb+ needs moving

- All 4 options for performance enabled (Lots of network I/O)

5 answers to this question

Hey Guys - 

To answer you questions...

is the user that runs the script the same as the one that you used to install dp and/or it runs under?

Yes - it uses the same local Windows user account to execute the script which is my primary account and a local administrator

Does the missing folder issue occur over the network, or on the local pool?

If asking if the disappearing folder appears when viewing a list of folders over the network, I don't think it does appear when accessing the path via SMB.  

Again, it's a really strange issue; but one I've got to get resolved soon.  Thanks!