Automatically re-attach after drive error

JohnKimble

Question

Once every X days my CloudDrive disconnects from Gsuite (my internet connection hasn't dropped, quite stable but error said it can't read from Gsuite after 5 retries) so i have to manually click re-attach after logging in on my server. My question is if there is a way to do this automatically or get notified on critical errors?

10 answers to this question

See the wiki about advanced settings: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings

Specifically, this:

• CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures - This setting controls how many unrecoverable I/O failures can occur before the drive is forcifully unmounted from the system. Increasing or disabling this setting can cause issues where the system may hang/lock up, as Windows will wait on the I/O to finish. The window for these errors is 120 seconds, and if this time is exceeded without an error, the count is reset. The default value for this is "3".

Adjust this to 8 to 10 or so. See if that fixes it. CloudDrive will detach your drive to prevent system lockups, but Google has hiccups that are temporary and solved by raising this number a bit. Don't go too high, though, as some sort of genuine failure will lock up your system--and you want CloudDrive to work around those. 

See the wiki about advanced settings: http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings

Specifically, this:

• CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures - This setting controls how many unrecoverable I/O failures can occur before the drive is forcifully unmounted from the system. Increasing or disabling this setting can cause issues where the system may hang/lock up, as Windows will wait on the I/O to finish. The window for these errors is 120 seconds, and if this time is exceeded without an error, the count is reset. The default value for this is "3".

Adjust this to 8 to 10 or so. See if that fixes it. CloudDrive will detach your drive to prevent system lockups, but Google has hiccups that are temporary and solved by raising this number a bit. Don't go too high, though, as some sort of genuine failure will lock up your system--and you want CloudDrive to work around those. 

My internet sometime drops for a few minutes to one hour, the number of consecutive failures could be huge. It is not safe to set that threshold too high, so I hope my CloudDrive could first unmounts the drive, keeps testing for connection, and then auto reconnect and remount everything.

Once every X days my CloudDrive disconnects from Gsuite (my internet connection hasn't dropped, quite stable but error said it can't read from Gsuite after 5 retries) so i have to manually click re-attach after logging in on my server. My question is if there is a way to do this automatically or get notified on critical errors?

As srcrist said, the "CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures" value controles the number of errors that can occur before the disconnect happens.

This disconnect happens because too many IO errors will cause windows to lock up (hang), as it is very sensitive to IO errors.   This is specifically to help prevent t hat from happening.

You can increase the value, but it increases the odds of issues.... or you can outright disable it by setting it to "0". But this may very well cause some nasty problems. 

My internet sometime drops for a few minutes to one hour, the number of consecutive failures could be huge. It is not safe to set that threshold too high, so I hope my CloudDrive could first unmounts the drive, keeps testing for connection, and then auto reconnect and remount everything.

In this case .... it may be worth enabling the "mount disconnected" option, as this should allow you to continue accessing the drive. But IIRC, this does put the drive into a read only mode. 

http://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=Mounting%20a%20Disconnected%20Drive

The other option is to open the IO performance options and uncheck "upload".  That will allow you to continue using the drive, but should not upload data to the cloud provider.   But you'll still run into issues if you're trying to download data. 

But to be honest.... fixing your internet connectivity would be the top priority.  StableBit CloudDrive doesn't like gaps in connectivity. 

I don't believe that's how it works at the moment. That might be a feature request. I think it just dismounts and waits for you to tell it to retry.

yeah, there is no "auto-retry mount drive" option. And I'm not sure that it's a good idea to even add the option.  It would be better to address the underlying instability, than to try to stop gab the issue in our software. 

Adjusting the "CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures" helped a bit. I don't want to overdo it. Once or twice a week it still disconnects usually at the same exact time at 8:00 in the morning here, so i guess its on Google end (short disruption of their service)? Internet has been rock solid so far here.

Too bad you cant make a script that checks if the drive is de-attached and then checks your internet connection first before attempting a re-attach, would make my life a bit easier but hey 1st world problems. I made a habit now every time i wake up to quickly check if clouddrive is still working.

That seems odd.... but that makes sense.  Everyone waking up and checking all their google services at the same time.  Would put a higher load onto the service at certain times of day.

And if you're only experiencing issues at the certain time of day, try upping the value a bit, and see if that helps more.

I NEED THIS FEATURE TOO!! It's completely random even without the internet dropping I have to hit "retry connection" from time to time because of dismounts. Would be nice if there was a way to detect internet and reconnect I really don't know why this wouldn't be a feature. Like I'll be actively playing a game and an HDD will drop for no reason at all.. It's not being access it just disconnects. I alt tab hit retry and it connects back up right away. Would be nice if I didn't have to manually hit retry.. Or if I didn't come home to a disconnected HDD as often as I do..

I NEED THIS FEATURE TOO!! It's completely random even without the internet dropping I have to hit "retry connection" from time to time because of dismounts. Would be nice if there was a way to detect internet and reconnect I really don't know why this wouldn't be a feature. Like I'll be actively playing a game and an HDD will drop for no reason at all.. It's not being access it just disconnects. I alt tab hit retry and it connects back up right away. Would be nice if I didn't have to manually hit retry.. Or if I didn't come home to a disconnected HDD as often as I do..

The problem with that, is that it doesn't solve the problem.  It's not even a band-aid, it's slapping some spackle on a foundation crack.   Your hoping that the issue won't get worse, when realistically, it will be. 

Additionally, the "CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures" does this, actually.  It ignores "X" errors, (or "retries" them automatically".

And this happens not just for the internet dropping out, but communication issues, or anything else that affects the ability to retrieve data. 

To be blunt, an "auto-reconnect" option isn't going to happen here.  It's not a solution, and will cause more problems than it will solve.  Sorry.