Drivepool keeps checking and duplicating

btb66

Question

I swapped out a drive for one with a higher capacity, I used the 'remove drive' option, when complete I then added the larger capacity drive to the pool. Initially it took time to repopulate the new drive and now the pool doesn't seem to have settled and it keeps checking, then duplicating, after duplication has finished it shows the pool is good only for a short time, about ten minutes I would say, then the cycle repeats, checking again and more duplicating, over and over.

I've attached a screenshot of some notifications, (only these few because I cleared them after reading earlier).

The pool seems to fine except for this issue, I'm fairly sure before swapping the drive this didn't happen, is there anything I can do?

I'm using beta v. 2.2.0.765

Edited to add another screenshot, cycle continues.

post-570-0-79246700-1499694047_thumb.png

post-570-0-49252100-1499708490_thumb.jpg

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Okay, thank you for letting me know. 

And ... unfortunately, I've ran this script a half dozen times on different systems .... and it doesn't appear to have caused any issues whatsoever.  Nothing like you're describing, and I used the "check-pool-fileparts" dpcmd option to verify this, as well.

So, whatever this is, it is system specific.  So ... I double checked some of the logs you've submitted.  It looks like you're using Symantec/Norton for Antivirus?  If so, the file system filters *may* be responsible for this.

In the performance options, do you have "bypass file system filters" enabled or disabled?

And ... could you verify that "real time duplication" is enabled, (while you're there). 

Try toggling the "bypass file system filters" option, and see if that fixes the issue.

Otherwise, could you try with Symantec/Norton removed (not just disabled) and see if that helps.

I have a feeling that the symantec/norton stuff may not be the cause, but *just in case*.

Bypass filters is on

Real-time duplication is on

Have never changed these since starting to use DP

Have turned off bypass filters to see if that makes an effect on 2012r2

As for Symantec - yes that's on 2012r2 BUT not on the Win10 machine as thats Avast - don't want to uninstall symantec if i dont have to as it takes ages to install and update

Just going to update Win10 DP to latest beta to keep them in sync - not that it will change things but...

Okay, I definitely understand that, and yeah, that would be a PITA.

But definitely try disabling the bypass filters and see if that helps.   I know that in the past, we've had some WEIRD issues with certain antivirus solutions ... avast being one of them, actually.

But just to let you know, I tested this on both my 2012R2 Essentials system, and on a clean Windows 10 CU VM, and couldn't reproduce this ... using your exact scripts.   (this is more of to document my frustration, because without the ability to reproduce the issue, troubleshooting and fixing it is ... a nightmare, at best).  

Chris

Good new and bad :)

I did some testing on my Win10 machine as this is much quicker to run dpcmd (small pool) than on my 2012r2

I went back to beta 742 as this never gave me any problems - i ran the powershell script 30+ time in quick succession and no unduplicated files were found - ran dpcmd before and after to check

I installed beta 748 - ran the script - and bingo the problem returned on the second script run! - ran dpcmd before - no undup files after the install - ran dpcmd after issue and as this is a ssd pool the re dup occured so quick i could not catch it in dpcmd output - but the gui showed the "error"

I then installed 810 - and have run the script multiple time 20+ and so far no undup files have turned up

So to me this indicates that whatever is causing this started between 742 and 748 - it also might be fixed in 810 but i need to do some more testing on my win10 machine to be sure - also 806 which my 2012r2 is on still shows the problem

All tests were done with bypass filters ON and Avast installed and enabled (was going to do an uninstall but thats not necessary now as i am sure its not related.)

On 2012r2 - bypass filters had no effect

What version of powershell are you using to run the scripts?

on win10 its 5.1.15063.483 - although i think it occurred before creators update which i only have had for a couple of weeks

on 2012r2 its 4.0.-1.-1

as a possible difference between your machines and mine

T

Well, Alex made some changes/fixes for the duplication stuff recently.  Due to some issues he ran into himself.

So it sounds like he ran into the same (or a similar) issue.   

By chance, were any of your folders read only? 

As for powershell, 5.1.15063.502  on Windows 10, and 4.0.-1.-1

But as you've mentioned, I do believe that the 810 version does address the issue you were seeing.