Drivepool keeps checking and duplicating

btb66

Question

I swapped out a drive for one with a higher capacity, I used the 'remove drive' option, when complete I then added the larger capacity drive to the pool. Initially it took time to repopulate the new drive and now the pool doesn't seem to have settled and it keeps checking, then duplicating, after duplication has finished it shows the pool is good only for a short time, about ten minutes I would say, then the cycle repeats, checking again and more duplicating, over and over.

I've attached a screenshot of some notifications, (only these few because I cleared them after reading earlier).

The pool seems to fine except for this issue, I'm fairly sure before swapping the drive this didn't happen, is there anything I can do?

I'm using beta v. 2.2.0.765

Edited to add another screenshot, cycle continues.

post-570-0-79246700-1499694047_thumb.png

post-570-0-49252100-1499708490_thumb.jpg

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you, I've done that and added a link to this thread.

Not setting it, but I think there is an issue on our end, so let me get back to you on that. 

Mine does the same, Got 24 notifications from the 24 checks done every 1 hour for the last day.

What version are you on, specifically?

Getting a lot of "Ensure file duplication consistency.." on one pool every hour or so and also it keeps having unduplicated data - from a few hundred meg to 6GB - varies which drive its on when checking each drive from main GUI

pool is set to full duplication and all folders show x2

did not have this on 742 just updated to 769 in last couple of days when this started

new bug?

Also need a feature pronto to actually show which are not duplicated so you can check as the program knows 

Have run troubleshooter and its submitting now

It could be.   We did change some significant stuff, so there is an increased likelihood of issues. 

That said, please rerun the troubleshooter.  There was an issue with it, but it should be fixed now.  

(the storage backend ..... ugh, but it's fixed now).

Also need a feature pronto to actually show which are not duplicated so you can check as the program knows 

Have run troubleshooter and its submitting now

Well, the duplication settings page calculates this in real time, so you can use that.

Otherwise, this:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/1587-check-pool-fileparts/

Chris

currently its not showing any unduplicated - but i guess it will be back if its a bug - do you still want me to re run the troubleshoot even if its not showing at the moment or wait?

"Well, the duplication settings page calculates this in real time, so you can use that." - could you explain a bit more please? not sure i follow

Wait until the issue comes back.   

that or if you can trigger it to occur, enable drive tracing, and repro it. 

As for the second part,  in the "Folder Duplication" window, it will scan the folder selected and display it's status (how much data, and display it, rather than relying on the previously measured data). 

I ran the troubleshooter again and linked it to this thread, but its resolved now.

In my case it was down to a lot of writes to the pool, at the same time as adding more capacity I also moved a folder to the pool which is constantly written to, I've now moved it out again and the checking/duplicating has stopped and the pool has settled.

Actually my issue was also after a large number of files were amended on the pool - editing, copying and moving thousands of photos (via a script - powershell)

I wonder if in this situation the duplication on Dp falls behind and causes the checking and duplication

This would be odd as my ssd cache is two samsung 850 pro's and the total volume of data amended was only a few GB

I ran the troubleshooter again and linked it to this thread, but its resolved now.

In my case it was down to a lot of writes to the pool, at the same time as adding more capacity I also moved a folder to the pool which is constantly written to, I've now moved it out again and the checking/duplicating has stopped and the pool has settled.

Odd.

Well, flagged for Alex, anyways.  

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27560

Actually my issue was also after a large number of files were amended on the pool - editing, copying and moving thousands of photos (via a script - powershell)

I wonder if in this situation the duplication on Dp falls behind and causes the checking and duplication

This would be odd as my ssd cache is two samsung 850 pro's and the total volume of data amended was only a few GB

Well, these should happen "in parallel", so it should really trigger this to occur.

If I had to guess, one or more of the disks are not showing up in time, or "disappearing" temporarily, triggering this to occur.   But I'm not certain about that, which is part of why I've flagged the issue for Alex.   He is the developer, so he should have a better idea. 

Chris - no missing drives or drives going missing

server had been on for several days with no issues - numerous backups to the pool worked fine - not large changes

run a lot of changes - can trigger the issue though - then balancing fails to work correctly - or runs but does not move any files off the ssd's?

Ok i have unduplicated files again 363MB on disk 02 of my e: pool

Also the ssd's are unbalanced - one has 4gb of duplicated files the other 18.5GB

a duplication run is in progress - but the ssd imbalance was there before the run started - so its not that some has been moved off

see image

Scanner sees both the ssd's as healthy

Lol - the unduplicated just went up to 444MB while doing the balance now affecting disks 04,09,10,11,13,14,15,16,17,18 !!! which were fine before

Duplicating is progressing (very slowly) and although the % is increasing nothing appears to be being moved.

I will wait for it to finish the balance and then run the troubleshooter and report back

Ok it finished duplicating and i now have over 7GB of unduplicated files!

It wanted to duplicate again but i aborted it and am running the trouble shooter now - so should finish uploading in 10-20mins

The balance slowed down for ages then got to about 90% and finished in 10-20 seconds - BUT it moved no files - ssd's still unbalanced as in screenshot from previous post

unduplicated files are now across all but two of 20 drives!

once the info has finished uploading i will try another balance and if that does not work a remeasure - which has fixed it in the past.

If it comes back i think i will move back to 742 where i was before

I now have a pool that i have remeasured - no change on the undup files

if i run a balance it thinks about it for a few seconds then stops (no error) as it thinks its balanced when it is far from it!!!

yep good idea will re run that to see if it agrees with the GUI

Ok DPCmd has found some of the files

The odd thing is these files that were duplicated two days ago are now unduplicated - i have a full dpcmd log from the 13/7/2017.

The files (photos) have not even been looked at by me since November last year - checked last access date

So is DP - deleting files?

So is DP - losing files?

the directories which contain the files exist on 4x to 14x drives according the dpcmd - so i doubt its a hardware issue

All the disks are fine - nothing in error logs - scanner happy etc

This is worrying if we cant trust DP to be consistent over a couple of days

phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

and relax

the re-check appears to have worked and the pool is rebalanced again - although it has not finished yet - and still have data on my ssd's

Looks like it maybe a dp cache thing then?

Chris - does the dpcmd - option to flush the dp cache - do the same thing as a "re-check" as this option does not always appear

Edited by Spider99

ok by resetting my settings for DP - i finally got DP to balance properly again - took a very long time for 20gb to finally move off my ssd

i have only the ssd plugin loaded and all default balances off apart from scanner

have reset my settings and so far things appear back to normal

Chris - any comments???

Well, the last bit sounds like the balancing may have gotten stuck/corrupted, and resetting the settings would have fixed that.

Newer versions should be much better about not getting into "bad states" like this.  But if this was on a newer version, then please do confirm that. 

Chris - any news from the upload from a couple of days ago?

Not yet. Sorry.