Remote Access

photoguy

Question

If I build a Windows 10 Professional Server and it is connected to my Wifi network, what software or hardware do I need to add in order to access the files stored on the server from outside my home?  And what do I need in order to upload or download to/from the server.  I am a photographer and want to be able to access photos and to upload photos from a variety of locations if I can get on the internet.

4 answers to this question

Well, there are bunch of ways to do this.

The simplest may be to use: 

• SeaFile, and set that up. 
  • SFTP or FTPS

That said, a simpler method may be to use Windows Server 2016 Essentials, as it does have a remote access website designed for uploading and downloading files.   (though it's hosted on your internet connection). 

Otherwise, it gets more complicated. 

If you're using a laptop "outside", then you could set up OpenVPN on your server (or if you have a decent router, on that).  Connect to the VPN and you can work as if you're at home.

I do this from work - I have OpenVPN running on my Asus router, and connect in.  I can access everything across the VPN.  As the VPN data is compressed, it's pretty quick.