New Drive Pool Created: What About Existing Data?

St0ry

Question

I pooled my storage drives (not new, have data on them) but the new drivepool only shows free space. Do I just move the files from the individual drives over to the pooled drive? Is there a faster way to merge all the drives in the pool?

Once I copy the files from the individual drives over to the drivepool is it safe to delete them from the invidual drive? For example, my individual drives are E, F, G, H and I. Drivepool is K. After I copy everything from E to K, can I delete everything from E?

3 answers to this question

We don't automatically move your data into the pool. Not everyone wants that. And we would rather stay as hands off of your data as possible.

As for moving files into the pool, there is a super quick (and dirty) way to do this. Enable "Show hidden files", and then move the entire contents of each disk into the hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder. Do this for each drive in the pool, and EVERYTHING should appear in the pool.  This will take minutes. The way you propose would take hours or days, depending on how much data you have in the pool.

Thanks, I managed to find out about the PoolPart folder last night after doing some searching. Everything is set up now :)

One more question instead of starting a new thread, if I check 'Do not balance automatically' will it fill the drives sequentially? As in drive 1 first, then 2 after 1 is full, then 3, 4 etc...?

Okay, good to hear.

And no, it just means that it will wait til 2AM or whenever to process the pool. It will still "balance" it. Also, by default, it will try to use the most empty disk for the data, so as you add data, it will tend to equalize out.

However, if you check the balancer settings, there are a list of built in balancers that give you a decent amount of options. But if you want more control, such as to fill one disk at a time, there are some additional balancers you can download and install:

http://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

And it sounds like you may be interested in the "Ordered File Placement" balancer, which does fill one or two disks at a time (depending on the duplication status).