Access Denied: Drivepool can't access folders

athunt

Question

EDIT: Ok actually the problem could have been caused from me manually move those files from say ddrive L to F or it was caused from setting a rule on L to disallow all those file types. I just realized on drive L in the pool those folders cant be accessed at all. So that is where the issue dirves. I will play with it some more and see if i can figure it out.

L is just a cache drive (with a clouddrive and some cach files) so i may just remove it and readd the drive.

Original*****

So i have seen this twice the past 6 months or so since i got it. I recently manually copied files inside the hidden pool folder from one drive to another one (on the same pool). I copied a top level folder with many files insdie of it. After doing so, and im pretty sure it was by doing this that cuased it but havne't confirmed it, I can no longer access those folders from the POOL mounted drive. Though i can manually go into the drives and still access those folders (luckily).

When i tried to change the properties or owner i get an error. "You must have read permissions" to view the object properties or "Unable to view current owner". I am the sole computer user on the system. The first time i saw this error I was able to just change the owner to fix those access denied errors. Now i can't even do that. I tried to manually run acommand to do something similar,

ICACLS "J:\MyFiles" /INHERITANCE:e /GRANT:r <UserName>:F /T /C (from some googling). That didn't work.

I tried the StableBit utility Wss.Troubleshoot_1.0.0.165.exe to fix NTFS permissions which than attempted to set all permissions to Everyone with full control. That also said it failed.

I am at a loss of what to do. The only thing I can think of is copy all the files off the top level folder from inside the private pool folders. Delete the folder. Recreate it and manually redrag the files back in (from inside the private folder on the dirves instead of the pool). 

Have you encountered anything like this? I will probably attempt to do that but wanted to get this out there incase i see it again or theres already an answer. I saw some past articles on this but mostly they said to do what I tried above.

Thanks.

Great software :) Seems to be the only thing i ever see that's a little annoying and it may just be due to me going against normal processes to copy files.

3 answers to this question

I did try that. As I said in the OP it said I didn't even have read only permissions so the object properties were not even viewable. I couldn't even pull up any properties in the Security tab. And it wouldn't allow me to change owner as i didn't have rights to do so. I tried many things to fix it. 

My only fix was to format the drive as i couldn't even delete the folders. So i did a force remove, manually copied any files still on it that were missed, and than format it. Than I just re added it back to the pool. Everything works now. Luckily this drive had almost no data. Also do have a backup if something did happen.

Still an interesting problem. I am tempted to try to reproduce it by copying files like I did before. Cut a top level folder with files in it from one drive and paste it into another through the partPool hidden folders instead of the actual pool folder. But don't want to have to fix it again if that was it :)

I was just trying to do a quick balance and move the files that I wanted specifically onto another disk. No big deal. I have rules setup good now so Ill just let balancing do its job.

Ah, okay, I'm sorry I missed that.

Though, sometimes applying this to the parent folder and selecting the "replace child entries" option can fix this.

however, when that doesn't work, many times a CHKDSK pass *will* fix this issue, as it's a file system error that is causing the issue.

But a format would also fix the issue.  

That said, if this happened after deleting or renaming the folder, then install the public or internal betas, as this is a known issue and there is a fix for it.