Beta 763 still eating memory

thepregnantgod

Question

8 answers to this question

I was experiencing the same issue. On my 4 GB machine, the covfs.sys (I think that was the name) driver used up all memory causing my machine to freeze.  I tested the same version on my 12 GB machine, and when I attempted to remove a drive from a pool the memory would spike to 6 GB RAM usage and then cause a blue screen.

I have reverted back to the release version which doesn't have the issue.

Okay, that's definitely not normal, at all, and definitely sounds like a massive memory leak. 

And we haven't made any changes to address a memory leak.  

If you haven't already, then please do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_System_Freeze

This will dump the memory to disk.  Then upload that (there is a button in the link to do so), and then we can take a look at it. 

Just let me know when you've updated the file. 

Also, you mention Win10 x64, but are you using NTFS or ReFS drives in the pool, or a mixture?

Also, are you using reparse points?

And do you know which version was stable (no memory leak)?  If you have an exact version, that would SIGNIFICANTLY help to identify the cause ofthe issue... though I have a suspicion as to what it the cause is, and alex agrees about the possibility. 

I've flagged the issue for Alex 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27540

And I'm going to be blunt here: 

Grabbing the memory dump isn't just "helpful".  Issues like this can be very configuration specific, and hard to reproduce.  My personal server is on one of the builds that *should* be creating a memory leak, but it ISN'T.   So reproduction isn't always possible.   Because of this, getting a memory dump is absolutely critical, as it is incredibly helpful to see what is going on at the time that the leak occurred.    It's a literal snapshot of the issue, and it's like having a smoking gun at a crime scene. 

If you can get us the memory dump, it will significantly help us, and seriously expedite the fix. 

Thanks for leaning forward, Drashna.  When I get home tonight I'll system freeze and grab a mem dump for you.

I'm using mixed NTFS and REFS drives in my pool.  I don't know what reparse points are, so I suspect I'm not using them.

The mem leak started in the last 2 weeks for me.  I know it's not the stable version - but that one doesn't like my mixed pool so I have to use a beta.

Okay, tried following the instructions at http://wiki.covecube.com/System_Freezebut it's not working.

I've hit the right CTRL key with and entered Scroll lock twice.  With a USB drive inserted.  (both registry entries were added)

No memory dump is being initiated

I'm sitting at maxed out 64gb RAM due to memory leak.

Things that might make my system unique - I have a ram drv of 16gb with all system files going to it (X:).

I'm using Win 10x64