Incorrect Pool size?

wbilger

Question

Hi,

I have recently installed the trial version of DrivePool.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I could not find anything, and didn't see anything in the manual about any overhead on pools.

I assumed if I had 8TB worth of drives, I would have a 8TB pool, but I am getting 5.65 TB.

I started by adding a new 2TB drive to the pool, then began adding my existing 4 drives to the pool.

In total the 5 disks are 2TB + 2TB + 2TB + 1TB + 1TB.

I then moved al files from the 4 existing NTFS drives onto the new pool D: drive.

I then deleted all the $RecycleBin folders from each drive so that the only thing on each drive was the PoolPart. folder.

Am I missing something, should I not have a 8TB pool?

Do I need to remove each drive, reformat, and then re-add, that would be a very long process.

I tried it with one drive, and I am back to the same 5.65TB pool.

Thanks.
Wayne

10 answers to this question

I am not at home, and can't seem to remote in right now, so a screenshot will have to wait.

But, the UI showed the Pool Name "Data (D:\) - (5.65 TB)" at the top,

then lists the other 4 drives (2x2TB and 2X1TB) as drives in the pool, they are E:,F:,G:,H:, respectively in Windows.

The D:\ drive is the one I added first.

I know I wouldn't show 8TB, but I expected it to be 7.45 or so.

Thanks.

Wayne

Could you take a screenshot of the UI with the pool/s pie chart and the disks in it?

And for your disks, you're not going to get 8TBs, at best, you're going to get ~7TBs of capacity. 

Okay, 

It looks like it's mis-reporting the L:\ drive.

Click on the "Pool Options" underneath the pie chart, and click on the "Remeasure" option. That may fix the issue.

If it doesn't, let us know.

As for remote desktop, yeah, that can happen. That's why it's good to have a "dynamic DNS" service. Most of these utilities have a program you can install that will periodically update the IP address. Or you can do the same on the router. 

That, or use TeamViewer. :)

I did do a remeasure, and it fixed L:, but did not change the total pool size.

I am actually going to remove both 1TB drives, and add 2 new 2TB drives, and just build a new pool.

I will see if that fixes my problem.

3 Questions, in case I did something wrong the fist time;

1. Do I start the pool from a blank disk, or existing disk, or does it matter?

It seems I was short about 2TB, and I started the pool by adding a blank 2TB disk, not sure if it's a coincidence.

2. Looking at the jpg above, it doesn't show the original drive I added, is that normal?

3. how do I see the PoolPart. folder on the original drive, I can see it on all other drives, but when exploring the original drive, it shows all your folders on pool.

Is me not being able to see PoolPart. folder on that drive the reason I am having this problem?

Okay, 

It looks like it's mis-reporting the L:\ drive.

Click on the "Pool Options" underneath the pie chart, and click on the "Remeasure" option. That may fix the issue.

If it doesn't, let us know.

As for remote desktop, yeah, that can happen. That's why it's good to have a "dynamic DNS" service. Most of these utilities have a program you can install that will periodically update the IP address. Or you can do the same on the router. 

That, or use TeamViewer. :)

Well, I just gave up, uninstalled completely and reinstalled, and now is all good.

Reporting 7.21GB.

Just curious, I would expect 7.45GB or so, based on my other disk size, where is the loss, overhead I assume, 

but is there any details on this. Is it a percentage of each disk?

1. Shouldn't matter at all. 

I've added disks full of data and "moved" it into the pool without any issue.

2. I'm not sure what you mean there. It looks like you have all the disks (minus the system disk) in the pool.
  3. the PoolPart folders are hidden by default. After you remove a disk from the pool, it's marked as unhidden, just in case it didn't move everything out of the folder (such as if you told it to skip duplicated files), just in case.

That shouldn't have any thing to do with what you were seeing.

As for the issue, it sounds like the settings store for DrivePool may have gotten corrupt. That could cause the issue you saw also. And clearing DrivePool's settings was the next thing I was going to recommend, actually. 

If this happens again (I don't think it will), could you grab the error reports from the system and send them to us? (http://stablebit.com/Contact)

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Error_Reports

And 7.21TB sounds correct. My quick math said 6.99TBs.  Specifically, you get approx 90.95% of what manufactures report.  So, that would be approx 7.25TBs. Which is almost exactly what it is reporting. 

Thanks. It looks like it is working perfect now.

I was just trying now to understand how it works.

It sounds like there is no overhead then, is that correct?

Next, I am going to trial scanner, and then purchase both.

One question, I think I saw someone mention in the forums that you get 

$10 off any further purchases up to $10 when you purchase drivepool.

I want to purchase drivepool and scanner on my main machine, then I want

to put drivepool on my backup machine.

Yeah, there should be no overhead.  All "IO operations" (read/write) are passed onto the disks directly. In the case of read striping we do some extra stuff to boost the read speed. But performance and minimal inpact/footprint are key features/tenants of DrivePool.

And fact, the only "overhead" is the actual DrivePool service, which handles checking the duplication and balancing statuses, and moving files when necessary. But that should also be minimal.

As for the discount, you get a $9.95 (basically $10) discount on each license purchased after the first. Up to 10 additional licenses (for a total of 11) This is for either DrivePool or Scanner. And you can "mix and match", if you want. As for the "Combo" item (DrivePool+Scanner), this discount is already applied, and counts against the 10 additional licenses.

To get the discount, purchase one of the products (or the combo) and wait till you get your Activation ID. Once you have that, go back to the purchase page, and at the bottom is a "Already own one of our products?" section. Input your ID  there, and click  the "Apply Activation ID" button, and it will refresh the page and show you the discounted price.

That, or if you get the combo, on the order confirmation page, it will have a link to "Purchase additional licenses" that will basically do that for you. 

SO basically, buy the combo, then use the links. And you could get a second copy of DrivePool and a second copy of Scanner, both discounted for that second machine.